Breaking into finance as an engineer

Hi guys,

I know this was probably asked a bunch of times, but I was hoping someone can shed some light on this who may have had a similar experience / background as I did. My profile: -Industrial Engineer -focus on operations research (did a lot of the math basics for financial engineering: optimization, creating models, etc) -Just wrote and most likely passed CFA Level 1 -Previous work experience: Business Analyst (Supply Chain Industry) 16 months -Current role: Data Analyst type role in a Big Canadian Bank (not finance related, more on the IT side. 9 months so far)

What I want: An analytic role in capital markets, perhaps an equity analyst (not sure what would be an appropriate entry level role for someone in my situation?)

-I am thinking of picking up a few books that may help me get a deeper insight into some finance roles (I want to learn what quants, traders, and equity analysts do exactly).

-As a way to showcase the skills I have built up so far (Data analysis, BI software / Excel / MATLAB, cfa1) and to show case my interest for the field, I'm thinking of trying to create some kind of evaluation model for technology stocks (I have a few ideas).

What do you guys think? Any advice?

Thanks a bunch in advance to anyone who has any feedback.

On 2/7/2022 at 6:48 PM, kwlesie said:

Hi guys,

I know this was probably asked a bunch of times, but I was hoping someone can shed some light on this who may have had a similar experience / background as I did. My profile: -Industrial Engineer -focus on operations research (did a lot of the math basics for financial engineering: optimization, creating models, etc) -Just wrote and most likely passed CFA Level 1 -Previous work experience: Business Analyst (Supply Chain Industry) 16 months -Current role: Data Analyst type role in a Big Canadian Bank (not finance related, more on the IT side. 9 months so far)

What I want: An analytic role in capital markets, perhaps an equity analyst (not sure what would be an appropriate entry level role for someone in my situation?)

-I am thinking of picking up a few books that may help me get a deeper insight into some finance roles (I want to learn what quants, traders, and equity analysts do exactly).

-As a way to showcase the skills cinema hd have built up so far (Data analysis, BI software / Excel / MATLAB, cfa1) and to show case my interest for the field, I'm thinking of trying to create some kind of evaluation model for technology stocks (I have a few ideas).

What do you guys think? Any advice?

Thanks a bunch in advance to anyone who has any feedback.

solved.

Edited by kwlesie

• 3 months later...

This is a pretty fun game, but requires players to have fast hand skills to choose the right arrow keys and at the right time they touch the arrow icons available on the screen to be considered valid. . If you have ever played Audition, you will get used to the Friday Night Funkin game very quickly.

• 3 months later...