Transition from MFA to PHD?

jawnkeats

hey y'all,

so for a long time now, i've been waffling back and forth about whether i want to get an MFA in fiction or go for the gold with a PHD in english. i studied writing and english in college, and completed theses in both departments (which was a great experience but did not help me make a decision). obviously, there are pros and cons to both--even if i set aside the question of which i love more, there isn't a clear practical answer. the MFA's not a terminal degree and it could be expensive if i don't get funding; the PHD is such a lengthy commitment that maybe i'd be forced to "give up writing."

my question is this: is it possible to get an MFA at a school and then transition into that same school's PHD program? are any of the lit classes you take to get an MFA transferable to another school's PHD program? do you know of anyone who's done this, or of schools that are more receptive of it?

thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...

hey y'all,

so for a long time now, i've been waffling back and forth about whether i want to get an MFA in fiction or go for the gold with a PHD in english. i studied writing and english in college, and completed theses in both departments (which was a great experience but did not help me make a decision). obviously, there are pros and cons to both--even if i set aside the question of which i love more, there isn't a clear practical answer. the MFA's not a terminal degree and it could be expensive if i don't get funding; the PHD is such a lengthy commitment that maybe i'd be forced to "give up writing."

my question is this: is it possible to get an MFA at a school and then transition into that same school's PHD program? are any of the lit classes you take to get an MFA transferable to another school's PHD program? do you know of anyone who's done this, or of schools that are more receptive of it?

thanks in advance.

I can tell you that I am currently a first-year in an English/Creative Writing PhD and my university will only take 9 credit hours of coursework from an MFA. Some programs take more, but if you are going for a studio MFA and then thinking about a traditional literature PhD be prepared--they may only take a few of your classes. Even if you want to stay at the university where you got your MFA and do your PhD there, they may not be able to take many of your classes. I'd say look at the schools you are thinking of; often they will state how many credits they will transfer in from an MA/MFA. Part of it comes down to the guidelines--as an MA student in English, you are fulfilling course requirements (early British, late American, etc.) Most MFA programs don't put any restrictions of what literature classes you take, as long as they are at the graduate level.