Fields of research experience to boost application?

kufambrian

This was my first cycle applying to PhD programs, and I was rejected by all of the schools I applied to. The natural next step is for me to gain research experience as a research assistant to boost my application. I have two degrees, one in psychology and one in polisci. Where I live, there are only psych research assistant jobs, and no political research jobs (as far as I can tell from looking in the job field for the past year). I can't move within the next 6 months because of my lease, so I have to accept a one or two year research contract here in Portland, Oregon. I've had interviews recently for higher-profile psych research jobs, and I expect at least one offer soon.

Because of this, I'm wondering if having psych research experience will be irrelevant to future politics PhD applications since it isn't in the same field. I am, however, mainly interested in political psychology and only applied to (and intend to apply to) programs that have a poli psych minor. 

What is everyone's opinion?

You could look into getting experience on survey research. Many of those positions are remote. For psych, you'll be doing surveys, working with surveys, and doing survey experiments, so hands-on experience on survey research would be good. By this I mean, YouGov, NORC, or any company/agency running surveys.

You can also look for one year research positions for people wanting to do PhDs. I know MIT had one. There are several around if you sign up for the polmeth list serv, they usually get posted there. Those would start August 2022, so you would not have a problem with your lease; you'll need something for the time in between. 

Edited by MrsPhD