I Am A - Columbia MSW Student, Ask me anything?

MCSW23

In case anyone had any lingering questions. I was accepted for Fall 2020, deferred to Fall 2021 and am currently in my second semester, but declared everything for my second year. 

Hi! 
I have been accepted to the MSW programs at Columbia and NYU and I am very torn between which one I should attend. I am hoping to eventually get my LCSW and enter private practice. Do you like Columbia's MSW program so far? I am nervous about the statistics requirement because I am not the most math minded. Also, I am in the process of appealing my financial aid scholarship from Columbia. Do you know if people can actually receive more scholarship from their appeal? THANK YOU!! 

On 2/19/2022 at 3:52 PM, kaywass1000 said:

Hi! 
I have been accepted to the MSW programs at Columbia and NYU and I am very torn between which one I should attend. I am hoping to eventually get my LCSW and enter private practice. Do you like Columbia's MSW program so far? I am nervous about the statistics requirement because I am not the most math minded. Also, I am in the process of appealing my financial aid scholarship from Columbia. Do you know if people can actually receive more scholarship from their appeal? THANK YOU!! 

Hey there!

I think our MSW program experiences depend pretty heavily on field above all else. Classes are all the same curriculum across the board for streamlined approaches, so it's important to research professors before taking any section. Honestly, my last semester was BAD due to bad field placement and some dry professors, but this semester is a 10/10. It waxes and wanes; plus they say first semester is the hardest at CSSW. 

I waived out of statistics, but I do know people who went through it and everyone made it through! I promise it's very elementary level. 

And yes! I appealed my financial aid even in the middle of the year and was rewarded more money. 

• 1 month later...

Hello! I am pretty set on Columbia for Fall 2022, and I'm curious what your class/fieldwork schedule is like. How many days are you on campus vs doing field work? How much of a say did you get in picking your schedule? 

Also wondering what your housing experience was like. Do you find it necessary to live close by Columbia? Would you recommend living with someone else in the program? Areas to consider? 

Really any advice you have for someone coming into the 2 year fall program would be really helpful :-) Thank you in advance! 

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

I plan to apply to the MSW program in the fall. But I am a little confused because I did not graduate with a BSW instead I graduated with a Bachelors in Organizational Communication. Do you know if you had to do any pre-requisite courses prior to applying? Maybe you went through this situation so maybe you know about this. Thanks!!!