NIH PREP 2022-2023 Applicants unite

EagleEye602

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 11:57 AM, Lemonadechi said:

Hey! Applied to Northwestern, UIC, and UChicago. Waitlisted at Northwestern. Interviewed in Feb. 

Based on your choices, it seems like you know your way around Chicago. I applied to programs across several regions of the country: Northwestern (accepted), Vanderbilt, UNC, JHU, Yale, and UPenn.

I was shocked at how early the interview for Northwestern came around. I figure more people will come around in April when more schools interview.

4 hours ago, Lemonadechi said:

I got accepted to Northwester today!

That is awesome! Will you be joining?

Edited by EagleEye602

5 minutes ago, EagleEye602 said:

Based on your choices, it seems like you know your way around Chicago. I applied to programs across several regions of the country: Northwestern (accepted), Vanderbilt, UNC, JHU, Yale, and UPenn.

I was shocked at how early the interview for Northwestern came around. I figure more people will come around in April when more schools interview.

That is awesome! Will you be joining?

I'm from Chicago! Not sure lol. I feel like Northwestern didn't give enough time to decide. I'm waiting on Chicago and UIC lol Northwestern is also heavily based on neuroscience...I'm also interested in md/phd so I'm wondering if that looks bad

31 minutes ago, Lemonadechi said:

I'm from Chicago! Not sure lol. I feel like Northwestern didn't give enough time to decide. I'm waiting on Chicago and UIC lol Northwestern is also heavily based on neuroscience...I'm also interested in md/phd so I'm wondering if that looks bad

That makes sense.

When I interviewed, I was told that they had extended the scope of the program outside of neuroscience, so you should be fine as long as you are interested in working with one of the PREP mentors listed on the site.

Looks bad, why? Some schools might prefer PhD aspirants (i.e., OHSU), but there are still many MD/PhD-aspiring postbaccs who get accepted to PREP because they have shown their commitment to research and/or the dual degree. Since you have been accepted to one program, then I think it is safe to say that you probably fit into this category.

4 minutes ago, EagleEye602 said:

That makes sense.

When I interviewed, I was told that they had extended the scope of the program outside of neuroscience, so you should be fine as long as you are interested in working with one of the PREP mentors listed on the site.

Looks bad, why? Some schools might prefer PhD aspirants (i.e., OHSU), but there are still many MD/PhD-aspiring postbaccs who get accepted to PREP because they have shown their commitment to research and/or the dual degree. Since you have been accepted to one program, then I think it is safe to say that you probably fit into this category.

That’s interesting! It seemed like northwestern in particular wanted more phd’s related to neuroscience. My interviewer was the director of the program however which I wasn’t aware of until recently lol I also don’t even remember northwestern putting md/PhD on their application! But you’re right! Will you be joining? 

1 minute ago, Lemonadechi said:

That’s interesting! It seemed like northwestern in particular wanted more phd’s related to neuroscience. My interviewer was the director of the program however which I wasn’t aware of until recently lol I also don’t even remember northwestern putting md/PhD on their application! But you’re right! Will you be joining? 

They probably do. What field are you interested in?

I am also an MD/PhD aspirant, and I made sure to check the box off in each of my applications and write about it in my essays. That way, I was doubly clear about my career goals.

Yes, I have committed to Northwestern.

Just now, EagleEye602 said:

They probably do. What field are you interested in?

I am also an MD/PhD aspirant, and I made sure to check the box off in each of my applications and write about it in my essays. That way, I was doubly clear about my career goals.

Yes, I have committed to Northwestern.

Perfect! Congrats! I believe I was clear as well! Im hoping to hear back from some others but I may have to commit to northwestern before im able to hear back. But northwestern is a phenomenal school and it feels great to have an offer this early! Thank you for making this thread! 

Just now, Lemonadechi said:

Perfect! Congrats! I believe I was clear as well! Im hoping to hear back from some others but I may have to commit to northwestern before im able to hear back. But northwestern is a phenomenal school and it feels great to have an offer this early! Thank you for making this thread! 

While it was hard to make a decision without knowing whether I would get other interviews, I would say having my plans finalized early on is highly reassuring.

If you feel that one of the other programs suits your needs better, then it might be wise to risk it and hold off on accepting.

Absolutely! And good luck on your application season. ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I applied to UW, Umass Amherst, and UCSC. I sent emails to all to check in. UW finally got back to me last week with rejection. Umass said they’re still making decisions and will let me know within a week. Radio silence from UCSC. I’m assuming since it’s so late and no interviews have been asked it’s all rejection. Anyone hear from Umass Amherst, or UCSC? 

• 5 months later...

Hi, looking for advice as a PREP applicant for the fall of 2023. I would like to apply to multiple PREP programs. For the LORs, can interfolio be used to send letters of recs to each PREP program? Or did your LORs writers have to submit them individually to each school? I know every application is different and I've done a lot of research. But any insight to the process would be appreciated. 

• 2 months later...

@AlexaT

Most programs use their own application systems. You enter your recommenders' names and contact info and send notifications that will request recommendations by email. They will need to upload a recommendation for each application. I had planned to apply to 12 programs but ultimately completed only 6 applications. To make it easier for my recommenders, I gave them all checklists and asked them regularly if they needed me to do anything for them.

Feel free to ask more questions! Happy to help.

Edited by EagleEye602

• 3 weeks later...

Hello people in the future, if you want to check out the now current cycle thread please check out this link:

I am trying to start an open-sourced tracking project where we can all put where we've applied, where we are accepted, etc. It sucks that there are any stats on this stuff. I mean, how many people apply to each program? How many are accepted (not always clear, though some do report). Details in thread!