Am I on the right track?

macmc

I'm in a bit of an unusual situation. My goal is to do a MA in Security Studies, beginning next fall; my first priority, however, is to complete ROTC during grad school, as I do not have time in undergrad. I believe I'm competitive for MA programs in general; I'll have somewhere between a 3.8-3.9 by the time I graduate, and when I took the GRE with no preparation, I got 650V and 650Q--my writing score was very low, for reasons unknown, but I'll be taking it again; I think I can raise my verbal score significantly, as well.

Despite this, I am, like I'm sure many of you are, a panicker. I psyche myself into believing I'm not going to get in anywhere, and so I ask you: am I aiming at the right places? Or, should I apply to schools for MAs in political science as well, in case I don't get into any security programs? Remember, I need to get in somewhere so that I can finish ROTC, so despite my love of reputation and societal approval when it comes to schools, I will go where I need to go.

The schools:

GWU

Georgetown

Johns Hopkins (DC)

The Korbel School

Texas A&M

Kansas State

I'm in a bit of an unusual situation. My goal is to do a MA in Security Studies, beginning next fall; my first priority, however, is to complete ROTC during grad school, as I do not have time in undergrad. I believe I'm competitive for MA programs in general; I'll have somewhere between a 3.8-3.9 by the time I graduate, and when I took the GRE with no preparation, I got 650V and 650Q--my writing score was very low, for reasons unknown, but I'll be taking it again; I think I can raise my verbal score significantly, as well.

Despite this, I am, like I'm sure many of you are, a panicker. I psyche myself into believing I'm not going to get in anywhere, and so I ask you: am I aiming at the right places? Or, should I apply to schools for MAs in political science as well, in case I don't get into any security programs? Remember, I need to get in somewhere so that I can finish ROTC, so despite my love of reputation and societal approval when it comes to schools, I will go where I need to go.

First things first, don't panic. This is a wide-ranging list, including both highly-competitive and more-accessible programs. You'll get in somewhere. The question is of figuring out which of them best suit your goals and then taking the time to make them love you.

Do retake the GRE, but don't let it become a huge stress burden, either. Instead, read up on these programs. Call up their ROTC coordinators. Visit, if you can. And then start writing personal statements, different for each school, about what you see in their program and what you plan to take from it. And stop back here for commiseration and encouragement if you need it - just don't let the worry start eating away at you this early in the process.

First things first, don't panic. This is a wide-ranging list, including both highly-competitive and more-accessible programs. You'll get in somewhere. The question is of figuring out which of them best suit your goals and then taking the time to make them love you.

Do retake the GRE, but don't let it become a huge stress burden, either. Instead, read up on these programs. Call up their ROTC coordinators. Visit, if you can. And then start writing personal statements, different for each school, about what you see in their program and what you plan to take from it. And stop back here for commiseration and encouragement if you need it - just don't let the worry start eating away at you this early in the process.

Thanks very much for your response; I'm going to be taking a lot of time for the personal statements.

Well I'm almost certain you'll get into Korbel (though I think you'd have to commute to CU-Boulder for ROTC) and you have a good shot at the others as well. Secondly, are there any cheaper programs you can go to? You already have a job lined up upon completion of ROTC, why bother with the high tuition when it's not going to matter down the road?

(p.s. I graduated from Korbel and am only speaking from experience, I'm not trying to be a smart-ass)

Well I'm almost certain you'll get into Korbel (though I think you'd have to commute to CU-Boulder for ROTC) and you have a good shot at the others as well. Secondly, are there any cheaper programs you can go to? You already have a job lined up upon completion of ROTC, why bother with the high tuition when it's not going to matter down the road?

(p.s. I graduated from Korbel and am only speaking from experience, I'm not trying to be a smart-ass)

Regarding just the tuition, I'll most likely be receiving an ROTC scholarship. However, even if I don't, I do not plan on being in the military forever, so I want the best preparation possible for my return to civilian life.

Regarding just the tuition, I'll most likely be receiving an ROTC scholarship. However, even if I don't, I do not plan on being in the military forever, so I want the best preparation possible for my return to civilian life.

Understood, but the supposed pedigree is as much about networking as it is about learning environment. I'd say you'll gain a heck of a lot more just in your first few months in the military than you will in two years of grad school. In a field like this it's more about developing research/analysis skills (with a little bit of rote learning thrown in)...and honestly it hasn't been my experience that you'll benefit vastly by going to one school over the other.

This is just my opinion though, I'm aiming more to give some perspective than claim I'm 100% right. :)