2022 Application Cycle

elkgeology

Based on the lack of a thread as well as the lack of any recent replies to this forum, this might be a fool's errand.  However, if you have results from Geology/Earth Science/Geoscience graduate schools you'd like to share, please do so.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.65

Undergraduate Major(s): Geoscience, English Education

Undergraduate Minor(s): Earth and Space Science, Chemistry

GRE: N/A

TOEFL: N/A

Academic honors or awards: Received honors three times, high honors twice, and highest honors twice.

Additional Information: I have been teaching K-12 for the past five years.  I have had five teaching certifications.  I am currently heading up an after-school geology program for fourth and fifth grade students.

Research: Nil, unless you include coursework

Publications: No scientific articles have been submitted, but I did write up a nice article on a local gemstone for a local hobbyist group that was published with their newsletter.  I'm fairly sure that caught someone's attention, because a PI asked for a copy.

Desired Program: Master's

Have received acceptances from these schools: UW-Milwaukee, UW-Madison, Texas A&M, Utah State University

Have received offers of funding from these schools: Texas A&M (four semesters, TA)

Have been waitlisted for funding from these schools: UW-Milwaukee

Have been rejected from these schools: South Dakota School of Mines

Have heard nothing from these schools: Virginia Tech, University of Texas at Austin, Idaho State University, Idaho State University (Paleontology - Biology) University of Wyoming, Montana State University, North Carolina State University (Paleontology - Biology), University of Florida

Fellowships I've Applied For: AOP (heard I was rejected, but never received any formal correspondence), NSF GRFP

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to add when I heard back from each university, in case that helps anyone:

Acceptances:

UW-Milwaukee (applied December 1st, 2021) - accepted on January 20th, 2022 and waitlisted for funding.

UW-Madison (applied December 31st, 2021) - accepted on January 25th, 2022 with no funding

Utah State University (applied November 14th, 2021) - accepted on February 7th, 2022 with no funding (due to the nature of the degree)

Texas A&M (applied December 31st, 2021) - accepted on March 10th, 2022 with TAship and full funding (tuition and fees waived) for four semesters - interview on February 9th, 2022

North Carolina State University (applied December 15th, 2021) - accepted on March 31st, 2022 with TAship and full funding (tuition waived) for four semesters (unknown stipend)

Rejections:

South Dakota School of Mines (applied February 11th, 2022) - rejected on March 4th, 2022

Idaho State University, Biology (applied January 14th, 2022) - rejected on April 1st, 2022