Choosing a field: Meditational Practices as Focus

stumblingNous

This is a bit of an aimless query. I am in the final semester of a BA at a well-known university. My focus so far is fairly interdisciplinary; two majors, covering philosophy, psychology, and religion, but also having some coursework in computer science and anthropology. I don't know whether to go for an MA, a PhD, or which field to consider. Religious studies was my main focus as an undergraduate, and where I won most merit, so I feel like it is a natural continuation.

As naive as it is, I already have a distinct research interest I intend to work towards until a new one takes precedence. I am very intrigued by the way the mind can act upon itself, particularly in practices called meditation, often appearing in mystic, occult, or ascetic contexts. I first discovered this passion while living among Mahayana Buddhists, and after exposure to tantric and Western occult practices. I would like to specialize in this subject, understand how it works at a cognitive level, and engage with it at a theoretical level. Religion has been fruitful for this because of how easily it incorporates interdisciplinary methods. But now, looking at graduate programs, I am uncertain how I should specialize towards my goal.

For clarification, this goal looks at meditational practices in obscure traditions, and seeks to understand them conceptually, potentially theorizing on their positive application in society, education, and therapeutic settings.

I have a GPA over 3.9, and have won honors and awards that may bolster an application. 

I have a professor for my Buddhism class this semester that did his masters and PhD at Yale University. He has very similar interests, but I'm not sure what the extent of his research is. I don't really know acceptance rates for the general ivy league masters/PhD population. However, you would have an exceptional shot at ivy league divinity schools. Essentially you can take the same coursework as you would outside of the divinity school, but these programs are better funded. For example, I was accepted yesterday to Yale Divinity School for a Masters of Arts in Religion. Some other div schools (such as Duke and Vanderbilt) only offer Masters of Divinity or Masters of Theological Studies (you can still tailor an MTS to meet research needs without being interested in ministry). Personally, div school was a really great choice for me because of how well funded it is. It's definitely worth considering/applying. I have similar stats as you but in the early Christianity/Second Temple Judaism area and was accepted to many div schools.

Not really sure if this is what you are looking for or what the question is, but just some thoughts.