negotiating funding (without a higher offer elsewhere)

icedwithoatmilk

Hello :)Does anybody have advice on how to try and negotiate up offers? Specifically-- I have only seen advice about how to ask a university to match a higher offer elsewhere, whereas my offers are all around the same (probably average, but of course it'd be better if they were higher). I still want to give it a go to negotiate, though, since I figure I might as well try, even if I expect a no. My questions are 1. Is it still normal to try and negotiate if you're in my situation (no higher offers)? and 2. if so, does anybody have wise words on how to do so/phrase my 'ask'?

Are you seeking to increase your stipend, or are you wanting a greater number of years for which you are offered funding for? My experience in STEM at a couple different institutions has been that all students on assistantships or research grants are paid the same stipend, the only exceptions being those who are on fellowships. In that scenario, it seems unlikely that they are going to negotiate since it is a point of equity. If you are instead hoping to get more years of funding, that might work. 

If you don't have a competing offer to ask them to match, you have to consider what leverage you do have. Are you significantly more qualified than their average applicant? Are you bringing in some of your own funding? What, specifically, do you bring to the program that justifies you to ask for more than other students may be getting? 

Also consider the program and how much money they have to burn. Some programs don't have much room to offer more funding, whereas others are desperate to attract the brightest and best students and have hefty endowments to draw upon to make that happen. 

One way to go about it without sounding grabby is to consider the cost of living. If all the institutions are offering a similar stipend amount, but your top choice is in a more expensive location than the others, you could communicate that the high cost of living compared to the stipend is making you apprehensive to accept.