MPP/IR + Uncertain about my chances~

Hi all,

I've found so much insightful information and comments on this website, so I was hoping that by posting my concerns and my situation I could benefit from all your experiences and brainpower!

First, I am having a hard time deciding between IR and PP. I was an Econ/Int'l Dev major as an undergrad. I certainly loved Int'l Dev and I have done a lot of research projects on topics related to social wellbeing + development. My ideal job would be to work at a think tank or research institute (as many of you have also expressed the same interest), doing analysis on international-related area. that said, I would also embrace a job in int'l diplomacy or something related with the same enthusiasm. Thus, I was thinking of IR with policy focus or PP with international focus. I was thinking of applying for both, depending on the school...

The second thing that concerns me (and the thing that's troubling me the most), is the quality of my work experience. I was originally very enthusiastic about applying, but now I'm getting increasingly worried due to the heavy emphasis (or so it seems) that schools put on work experience. I have two years of research apprenticeship with top /famous professors in different social science fields (one had fellowship $), working on either award winning papers or soon to be published books. Since graduation, I've been working in the private sector at an economic consulting company, as a research analyst. So while my job has given me important analytical skill set, I feel that it doesn't really show my passion in PP/IR.

So... I started volunteering on week nights, at my local school district and with an organization that does economic development projects for Africans. My positions are cool and I enjoy it, I have good relationship with everyone, but I don't do anything very significant (compared to, say, foreign service in another country or working at local government office). I don't know how much weigh they would give to my application, but these are the only things I can manage to do while having a full time job. I have other volunteer stuff/internships, but none that's particularly outstanding

So my questions, in brief, are:

1. Given my experience, do you think I have a chance at the PP/IR program?

2. Does IR emphasize work exerpeience less than PP (it seems like PP is more of a professional program)?

My other stats:

GPA: 3.9 at UCB, double major

GRE: 800Q, 660V, 4 AW (what?!)

Experience: 2 years research, 1.5 year private sector

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS LONG POST and helping someone who's losing sleep every night because of this :(

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS LONG POST and helping someone who's losing sleep every night because of this :(

Get back to sleeping normally - your work experience is quality, as it's relevant to the skills you'll need for either an MPP or an IR program. Use the personal statement to fill in any possible holes regarding your devotion to public policy, but people do get in from the private sector - your recent work doesn't by any means disqualify you.

Next, look past the degree name. HKS/SAIS/Fletcher/Walsh/etc have more in common than the variety of programs initially suggests, and all are designed as more professional than academic degrees (ask about the percent who go on to PhDs at each if you're curious about the character of the program). You'll probably apply to a mix based on your regional or technical interests, and that should work out fine, too.

• 2 weeks later...

The previous posters all provided sound advice, and I agree that you are a strong candidate. I would also add that given your career goals an MPP or Masters in IR could work well for you. I did U of Chicago's CIR program, which I really enjoyed, and had success (along with many of my classmates) getting a policy oriented job in DC. That said, the MPP (at least at Harris) had more of a focus on research methods and quant, which can be a big asset if you are looking for work at a think tank style place. Best of luck!

The previous posters all provided sound advice, and I agree that you are a strong candidate. I would also add that given your career goals an MPP or Masters in IR could work well for you. I did U of Chicago's CIR program, which I really enjoyed, and had success (along with many of my classmates) getting a policy oriented job in DC. That said, the MPP (at least at Harris) had more of a focus on research methods and quant, which can be a big asset if you are looking for work at a think tank style place. Best of luck!

Thanks for the encouragement, Latte.

I do have one question about policy oriented career after MPP/MA-IR. Although I'm a research analyst right now, the kind of work I do is mostly quantitative and I really miss writing and ddoing many of the qualitative commentary/analysis on social issues. This is probably because of the industry I'm in and the nature of kind of work we get. I do realize the value and importance of quant research, which I am by no means dismissing. However, my fear is that I'll end up in a job like this again--where most of the time is spent with statistical packages/quantitative analysis. I don't think public policy work is like this--at least when I took public policy as an undergrad, the policy memos we wrote were not just focused on numbers and surveys--they were rather complimentary to the key arguments. So i just want to confirm my belief (and hope) that I won't end up with a "number crunching" job....

[i don't mean to offend anyone, for those who like doing quant stuff. Quant analysis is not my favorite/preferred type of work; I'm not bad at it, but it's not my forte or passion.]

Edited by foodlover28

Thanks for the encouragement, Latte.

I do have one question about policy oriented career after MPP/MA-IR. Although I'm a research analyst right now, the kind of work I do is mostly quantitative and I really miss writing and ddoing many of the qualitative commentary/analysis on social issues. This is probably because of the industry I'm in and the nature of kind of work we get. I do realize the value and importance of quant research, which I am by no means dismissing. However, my fear is that I'll end up in a job like this again--where most of the time is spent with statistical packages/quantitative analysis. I don't think public policy work is like this--at least when I took public policy as an undergrad, the policy memos we wrote were not just focused on numbers and surveys--they were rather complimentary to the key arguments. So i just want to confirm my belief (and hope) that I won't end up with a "number crunching" job....

[i don't mean to offend anyone, for those who like doing quant stuff. Quant analysis is not my favorite/preferred type of work; I'm not bad at it, but it's not my forte or passion.]

I don't think you can generalize too much e as to whether a job in either of the fields will require you to be number crunching. I'm a policy analyst, and although I have done my fair share of survey construction and data analysis, it is the minority of what I do. Having the skills to do that kind of work is very marketable, but there are certainly lots of jobs that will have very little or no quantitative analysis. This applies to both "public policy" jobs, which covers a vast range of jobs, and IR, which is also a huge field. In each field you could find a job that is nearly all quantitative or a job that has no or very little quant work.