Consistent Hashing Algorithm Without Even Distribution

asinameli

Hi, I need some help finding or creating a consistent hashing algorithm with the following properties:

1. Given N buckets, only distributes new keys to bucket N. Keys in 0...N-1 never change their bucket location and can be accessed at anytime.

2. When number of buckets are increased from N to N+1, only keys in bucket N have to be migrated to bucket N+1.

3. When number of buckets are reduced from N to N-1, only keys in bucket N are migrated to bucket N-1

More context, I'm building a distributed hash table on an environment, where reliability is not an issue, it's guaranteed that each node would be up, and not added or removed unpredictably (I control the nodes being added or removed)

I also don't need replication (replication of data is handled at a lower level)

Also when nodes are removed, they can only be removed in a LIFO manner (node 2, cannot be removed before node 3)

I would appreciate any insight into this, and literature suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 8:35 AM, asinameli said:

Hi, I need some help finding or creating a consistent hashing algorithm with the following properties:

1. Given N buckets, only distributes new keys to bucket N. Keys in 0...N-1 never change their bucket location and can be accessed at anytime.

2. When number of buckets are increased from N to N+1, only keys in bucket N have to be migrated to bucket N+1.

3. When number of buckets are reduced from N to N-1, onl xender y keys in bucket N are migrated to bucket N-1

More context, I'm building a distributed hash table on an environment, where reliability is not an issue, it's guaranteed that each node would be up, and not added or removed unpredictably (I control the nodes being added or removed)

omegle I also don't need replication (replication of data is handled at a lower level)

Also when nodes are removed, they can only be removed in a LIFO manner (node 2, cannot be removed before node 3)

I would appreciate any insight into this, and literature suggestions.

issue gt solved!