Stat PhD: Michigan Ann Arbor vs UC Davis

I am international student, and I'm pondering over these two offers. Michigan Ann Arbor is ranked #7, which is higher than UCD (#13), and it looks like Michigan is a more.. renowned school. I'm currently interested in Functional Data analysis, so UC Davis would be a better option in this sense. If I choose Michigan, then I'm thinking of exploring new areas and changing my field of interest. In terms of what I "don't" want to study, however, I am not the biggest fan of machine learning or deep learning. I am interested in research jobs after graduation, but I would also be happy with going to industry. 

Some other things I am considering are: Michigan has no Qual Exam, Michigan is more close to my fiance (4 hours by car?), Michigan offered more generous assistantship. 

I am really confused because I got this Michigan offer in the last minute, and I would really appreciate your insights and thoughts about these two programs, about their research potentials, living environments, weather, anything. Thanks!

You can't go wrong. Obviously if you're completely set on FDA and can work with Muller, UCD is a great choice. Better weather too. The personal stuff is very important too, and Michigan is a great program. I'm sure you would be able to find some great research there you would enjoy.