ETS Power Prep GRE

TheDude

So I am coming up at my self-imposed deadline for taking my first ETS practice test to use as a metric for further study. I've mentioned here before I needed to start from the ground up with QUANTS as to not be totally discouraged with my first score. I think I've put in enough time where I am ready to do this in the coming weekend.

My questions are:

1) how many times can you take each practice test? Within each test is there enough questions where you won't hit the same one twice with after writing a particular test several times?

2) Is this software just like the real GRE in that it assess difficulty of questions being answered correctly and incorrectly?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Finally took my first practice test with ETS. Again, my thoughts were to brush up on math because I needed so much review. I ended up with 1270. Not great at all for someone who is an over achiever. The good news is I want to take the test the last week of September if this isn't to late. I think I can raise the score into the 1300's, which would leave me some wiggle room for nerves.

Really got to work on verbal. In the high 500s to 500 with big book tests and no practice. Math seems the best bet to get me past the 1300 mark.

Quick question: Do you think with 4 first author conference presentations (first author) and a publication in a reputable peer reviewed journal will lessen the blow if I end up with a 1200 flat? I reviewed so much of the basics for weeks and weeks that I'd like to have a bit of a life the next few weeks!!!!

I freak with these standardized tests, always have.

Your publication and conference presentations will definitely be a plus for you when you apply, as they're a better indicator of your research ability than standardized tests. Depending on your field, grad programs will look more closely at your quant or verbal. Remember, too, that it's the percentile that matters - since verbal is so tough (at least for me, anyway  :P ), a score in the 600s is actually really good. Good luck!

Finally took my first practice test with ETS. Again, my thoughts were to brush up on math because I needed so much review. I ended up with 1270. Not great at all for someone who is an over achiever. The good news is I want to take the test the last week of September if this isn't to late. I think I can raise the score into the 1300's, which would leave me some wiggle room for nerves.

Really got to work on verbal. In the high 500s to 500 with big book tests and no practice. Math seems the best bet to get me past the 1300 mark.

Quick question: Do you think with 4 first author conference presentations (first author) and a publication in a reputable peer reviewed journal will lessen the blow if I end up with a 1200 flat? I reviewed so much of the basics for weeks and weeks that I'd like to have a bit of a life the next few weeks!!!!

I freak with these standardized tests, always have.

From my understanding of lurking here & reading about the grad school app process elsewhere is just try to get a 1200 or higher. It seems a 1200+ helps get you past the first round of cut-offs, where the adcomm will then definitely look at your presentations and publications. Obviously, make your SOP and writing sample strong as well - as they will be reading these and judging you from these even more so than your presentations and publication on your CV. I freak and have anxiety about standardized tests as well (and studied for 4 & a half months for the GREs), and ended up with a 1280. Obviously not the greatest, but I'm hoping it is enough (along with my GPA) to get the adcomms to look at the rest of my apps at each school I'm applying to. In the end though every school is different, and each one is just a different crap-shoot. Good luck! And it is easier said than done but try not to stress - the GREs are just one part of the app process!