EMailing potential advisors

TheDude

So I started doing this tonight. I have received some responses already which is cool. Unfortunately, one of them was a "I probably won't be taking a grad student" from the program I really want to attend most. Oh well. at least I know now to put my hopes elsewhere.

I did commit the cardinal sin and think I can wipe one school of my list. I made my emails in word ahead of time because I can see them better there rather than in gmail. I have catered all the emails appropriately, and truly did check out the work of all the people I am emailing. However, when i was cutting and pasting the emails over to the email I miss cut/pasted and the name didn't change! I quickly sent a brief email apologizing and explaining why that occurred. I'd be offended so I am expecting not to hear back from that one or it being a less than gracious response! Good news is it wasn't my first, second or third choice school.

I really hate doing this. In most cases I'd reject doing it for the same reason I rejected Psi Chi as an undergrad, because it seemed like a nearly pointless endeavor to assuage the egos of Type A's. Not to mention these professors must get a million of these. I should have recorded youtube videos and sent links to be unique!!!!! However, just hearing that one program will "probably" not be taking a grad student will save me 80 bucks in the long run!

It definitely can be disappointing to hear back from a POI that there won't be space for a new student in their group, but on the bright side, as you said, at least you didn't waste the application fee.