Applying this Fall?

ElCielo

Hey All-

I'm currently in a terminal MA program (Classics) and will applying for PhDs this Fall (Classics/History). I'm already starting to put together my list of schools - its gonna be some huge number like 12-15 to ensure a good chance at being accepted somewhere. Anyone else applying/ picked out their programs yet? Just thought I'd check in and see who will be around this season...

• 3 weeks later...

I just signed up for the Grad Cafe today.

I'm applying to 5 no matter what, but I haven't decided on my 5th yet.

Most of the programs I'm interested in are Classics with an Ancient History Emphasis.

I've been pretty productive this summer: retaking the GRE, emailing potential advisors, researching programs, and contacting LORs.

I've been doing everything I can to avoid starting my SOP. urgh

Also, 2 of my LORs are on maternity leave/unemployed, so I'm starting to worry about that as well.

Who's in it to win it this year?

• 2 months later...

Hey All-

I'm currently in a terminal MA program (Classics) and will applying for PhDs this Fall (Classics/History). I'm already starting to put together my list of schools - its gonna be some huge number like 12-15 to ensure a good chance at being accepted somewhere. Anyone else applying/ picked out their programs yet? Just thought I'd check in and see who will be around this season...

Hi! Which terminal MA program are you in (if you don't mind mentioning it) and would you recommend it? Rather, I'll put it this way: is it among these three, to which I will be applying: Vanderbilt, Kansas University, and Tufts? Like you, I will be applying to about a billion programs this fall, but I don't have an MA yet-- so it'll be several PhD programs and a few MAs. I am seriously going to apply to about 20 schools-- perhaps more. I am determined to get full funding somewhere!!!

Hi! Which terminal MA program are you in (if you don't mind mentioning it) and would you recommend it? Rather, I'll put it this way: is it among these three, to which I will be applying: Vanderbilt, Kansas University, and Tufts? Like you, I will be applying to about a billion programs this fall, but I don't have an MA yet-- so it'll be several PhD programs and a few MAs. I am seriously going to apply to about 20 schools-- perhaps more. I am determined to get full funding somewhere!!!

I am not at one of the programs you mentioned, but I did apply and get accepted to Tufts. I visited there and didn't like the faculty a whole lot, but there are some people who do like the school so you should ask around. Tufts also costs about 30k a year, and the package they offered me was only 25% tuition remission, so I declined for financial reasons as well. Have you considered applying to Boston College or Georgia? I know they both have funded MA programs as well. Good luck with the applications! I'll post my results as soon as they start coming in