Need help with French-English translation

Postbib Yeshuist

I'm having a pretty difficult time translating the following sentence: "Il est frappant de constater le poids de la diaspora indienne anglophone, mais le non-lieu de l’université américaine prime."

So far, I have: "It is striking to note the weight of the English-speaking Indian diaspora, but [their] non-place (absence) in the major American University." But it just doesn't seem right in the context (or it at least seems to be an odd thought to insert).

Overall context: Études ou théorie postcoloniales, ce vaste champ a été surtout constitué par des interventions émises sur les notoires campus américains, depuis une ou deux décennies. Ces enclaves dans le territoire des États-Unis ont permis le passage, la concentration, la circulation d’idées. Il est frappant de constater le poids de la diaspora indienne anglophone, mais le non-lieu de l’université américaine prime. Les francophones, plus ou moins intégrés à ce champ, comme Édouard Glissant, V. Y. Mudimbe ou Achille Mbembe, ont enseigné et travaillé on campus.

Any help is appreciated. Also, does anyone know of a website that's more or less dedicated to helping with translation like this? I can do most of the work, but a place I could drop by with questions like this would be great!

Hi there

The sentence reads "The weight of the English-speaking Indian diaspora is striking [in postcolonial studies], yet what dominates [in the field] is the American university as a non-place."

The sentence is weird out of context (I am a French native speaker) and can be understood only thanks to the rest of the article. In a few sentences just following this one in the article, the author explains that American universities are a non-place because they are a place of constant displacement, transversal studies and possible re-localization of postcolonial thinkers coming from elsewhere, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the rest.

Hi there

The sentence reads "The weight of the English-speaking Indian diaspora is striking [in postcolonial studies], yet what dominates [in the field] is the American university as a non-place."

The sentence is weird out of context (I am a French native speaker) and can be understood only thanks to the rest of the article. In a few sentences just following this one in the article, the author explains that American universities are a non-place because they are a place of constant displacement, transversal studies and possible re-localization of postcolonial thinkers coming from elsewhere, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the rest.

Yep, that works great! Mind tackling one more? I'm stuck on "L’écriture de Bhabha, qui ramifie les phrases, glisse entre les synonymes, forge des néologismes, serait aussi une expression de l’hybridation de l’individu—et de l’Inde postcoloniale." Specifically, the "qui ramifie les phrases" is tripping me up. So far, I have "Bhabha's writing, which branches out sentences, slips between synonyms, [and] forges neologisms, can also be an expression of the hybridization of the individual—and of postcolonial India."