MA in Economics -- worthwhile?

joelc

Hi all,

I've looked through some past posts and found some interesting discussions, but I thought I'd get at this question more directly. I have a dual BA in economics and political science from a top private US university. I did OK overall (3.5) but not totally stellar in econ (3.25). I haven't taken the GRE yet but I think I will do well. I've been working in private research for a couple years, but it's time to move on. I really enjoyed studying economics and did much better in my later classes. I'm not sure if a PhD is where I'm headed, but it's a possibility. I'm thinking an MA/MS in economics might be a good intermediate step, because it could strengthen my so-so application if I do decide that I'm cut out for a PhD, and if not, I could go back to the private sector with somewhat more attractive skills. I've heard that a lot of econ masters programs do not offer good preparation for academic research, though, and might not be that compelling for a PhD application. It looks like LSE, University of British Columbia, NYU, Duke and Michigan offer terminal masters that might be most useful for both further graduate study and the private sector, though LSE would probably be a stretch for my qualifications. Can anyone who has considered those confirm or deny that my impressions are correct? Has anyone here done a masters in econ and leveraged it into a stronger PhD application? MA/MS programs tend to be expensive, so if I would not actually be keeping the academic option open, it's probably not worth it for me.

Thanks for your input,

Joel

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am in a similar position. Looking for a one year MSc/MA/MPhil in Economics before I join a PhD. program. Whats shocking is the dearth of such courses in the top 20 US universities. I'm thinking about applying to NYU, Duke, LSE, Oxford and Cambridge. Although I am sure of a rejection from Oxbridge.. and not very keen on NYU and Duke. That just leaves me with LSE. I'm not very sure of my chances there.

My Background -

Ugrad: Economics and Mechanical Engineering (double degree from a highly reputed Engineering college in my country)

GPA: 7.8/10

Econ GPA: 8.9/10

RecoLetters: Two from Econ (average), One from Management prof (good)

SOP: Haven't started writing yet (I know I need to hurry!)

Research Interests: Behavioral and Experimental Economics

Research work: Nothing published. One project on behavioral economics, undergrad thesis at Carnegie Mellon Univ (to be completed in my final semester)

Experience: 6 months internship at the top economic policy research organization in my country

I would be thankful to anyone willing to comment on my chances of getting through LSE