HKS 2011 Application

HKS just posted the 2011 application and it looks like they dropped the policy memo requirement. Am I missing something?

Also, the main essay for this year strikes me as a bit of a pain:

"…Ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.”– John F. Kennedy, Presidential Inaugural Speech, 20 January 1961

In the spirit of President Kennedy's famous exhortation, please tell the HKS Admissions Committee what you can do to change your community or world through your leadership and commitment to public service. Specifically, we are interested to know

* How your background has led you to apply to HKS;

* How you have engaged in public service;

* How you have demonstrated your capacity as a leader;

* How the Kennedy School experience would improve your capacity to contribute to the public good.

(Total length not to exceed 1,000 words)

Yeah, no policy memo this year! Many MPP programs never had policy memo as a part of their application. Also, in previous years they had "leadership essay" which is now all incorporated in this "SOP" wonna be.... :)

In my opinion, the rise in the number of applications that HKS saw in last years could be one of the reasons. So now thay have easier job of reading only one essay, instead of 3. Also, they moved the application deadline to early December, while in last years it was early January. But still, the answers will be given at the same time. So I am guessing they want to make it easier for their adcoms.

Where are you planning to apply? MPP, MPA/ID ? Some other schools besides HKS ?

Yeah, I noticed the disappearance of the leadership essay too. I'm actually pretty annoyed about this since I started writing my essays-- using last year's application-- in June. Ugh!

Any guesses on whether WWS will drop the policy memo as well?

I'm not entirely sure where I'll apply. Probably Michigan, Berkeley, Georgetown, GW, and maybe Chicago and Duke. I'm only interested in domestic policy and not a quant star, so I feel like my options are limited.

Yeah, I noticed the disappearance of the leadership essay too. I'm actually pretty annoyed about this since I started writing my essays-- using last year's application-- in June. Ugh!

Any guesses on whether WWS will drop the policy memo as well?

I'm not entirely sure where I'll apply. Probably Michigan, Berkeley, Georgetown, GW, and maybe Chicago and Duke. I'm only interested in domestic policy and not a quant star, so I feel like my options are limited.

Nope, WWS memo stays :)

Anyone has the other essays topics in particular the MPP/MBA dual degree? As I am not sure whether I want to apply to a dual degree or to the MPP alone

Also are your applications considered separatly for a MPP/MBA application? What if you get rejected from one of them?

guess I'd better ask the admission dept...!

I think that you apply to both schools, just that you would have one extra essay explaining why the dual degree is right for you.

I also think that you can get accepted by one school and rejected by the other one, but you should def. check with admissions office!

Anyone has the other essays topics in particular the MPP/MBA dual degree? As I am not sure whether I want to apply to a dual degree or to the MPP alone

Also are your applications considered separatly for a MPP/MBA application? What if you get rejected from one of them?

guess I'd better ask the admission dept...!

Your applications are considered separately, and you can be accepted to one program and rejected from the other - I know of at least one business school friend who had hoped to do a joint degree but was not accepted to the Kennedy school, for example.