choice of schools

gillian123

hi all, i'm seeking some advice on choice of schools. this is my second year of applying so i decide to apply fewer schools but to be more selective on them..

i'm from Asia and had a first class honour degree (GPA 3.7) in political science.

i'll be getting a master from europe and therefore wish that could add some points to my profile this yr

TOEFL-113

GRE- V:530 Q:780 AW:5

i know my GRE isn't very well, but i've been trying my very best on it..i'll retake it but don't have much confidence on that...

language: chinese is my native language and my english is fluent

in addition, i have beginners' french and russian, will keep improving

research experience: i have interned for a number of government departments and think tanks. wrote my senior thesis on

russian democracy and civil society development.

recommendations: those who are writing for me knew me very well, though certainly not big names in the field.

i plan to work on comparative politics with a focus on civil society and democratic studies, for geographical locations, i prefer Russia and Central Asia. i really hope to stay in the academia back home, so getting in a top-30 university would be quite important.

as i'm an international student, funding would be quite essential for me, so wish someone can offer some more advice, any comments are welcomed, thanks~

Edited by gillian123

hi all, i'm seeking some advice on choice of schools. this is my second year of applying so i decide to apply fewer schools but to be more selective on them..

i'm from Asia and had a first class honour degree (GPA 3.7) in political science.

i'll be getting a master from europe and therefore wish that could add some points to my profile this yr

TOEFL-113

GRE- V:530 Q:780 AW:5

i know my GRE isn't very well, but i've been trying my very best on it..i'll retake it but don't have much confidence on that...

language: chinese is my native language and my english is fluent

in addition, i have beginners' french and russian, will keep improving

research experience: i have interned for a number of government departments and think tanks. wrote my senior thesis on

russian democracy and civil society development.

recommendations: those who are writing for me knew me very well, though certainly not big names in the field.

i plan to work on comparative politics with a focus on civil society and democratic studies, for geographical locations, i prefer Russia and Central Asia. i really hope to stay in the academia back home, so getting in a top-30 university would be quite important.

as i'm an international student, funding would be quite essential for me, so wish someone can offer some more advice, any comments are welcomed, thanks~

I think you would be definitely fine to get in a top 30 university...but for the top 10 programs, it will be difficult and surely depend on your connection with their professors...BTW, are you from Hong Kong?

yep =)

well, actually this is my second trial, i got a top-50 offer last admission cycle, but with no funding, so i decided to go for a funded master and re-apply

wt i heard is that some uni in the states now hv reservations on chinese applicants

• 3 weeks later...

yep =)

well, actually this is my second trial, i got a top-50 offer last admission cycle, but with no funding, so i decided to go for a funded master and re-apply

wt i heard is that some uni in the states now hv reservations on chinese applicants

I heard the same rumor too...As those top-ten PhD programs normally admit only one student from China each year, they just keep the only seat for those students from Peking U or Fudan U whose professors hold very strong connections with their counterpart in US...I am not sure if it is true, but many people, including some professors have told me about this...

I think you should just try...With you fine background so far, I think you should definitely get a shot at top-30 this year and you should know the economic downturn last year did make serious affect on the grad school admission...

BTW, I also had my undergrad in Hong Kong, the CUHK...which program are you in right now? I am heading to London later this month for a master program...with funding at all=(...