Business and technology programs?

adaptations

This topic crosses over the business and other professional schools, so hopefully some folks here can help. I am helping my boyfriend identify possible masters programs and would love some suggestions for programs to consider. Some of the programs he has already identified are Bentley's "Human Factors in Information Design, Stanford's "Learning Design and Technology," and Harvard's "Technology, Innovation, and Education." He is looking for programs that combing business with the design or application of technology. Any additional suggestions, comments, etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

adapt

• 2 months later...

Look in to a Masters in Human Resources/Labor and Industrial Relations. Cornell's Master of Industrial and Labor Relations program is arguably the best in the country and the careers that this degree can lead to seem like they might be right down your boyfriend's ally. Before you discount HR as solely a personnel/transactional type career let me give you a little more information. More and more Fortune 500 companies are using HR as a part of their strategy planning team and HR plays a key role in the recruiting, development, deployment, and compensation of employees throughout the company. The completion of each of these functions requires more and more use and application of technology via social media tools and other related things. Just food for thought. I'm a current student in the program mentioned above, and it's been a great experience thus far with a bright future.

Look in to a Masters in Human Resources/Labor and Industrial Relations. Cornell's Master of Industrial and Labor Relations program is arguably the best in the country and the careers that this degree can lead to seem like they might be right down your boyfriend's ally. Before you discount HR as solely a personnel/transactional type career let me give you a little more information. More and more Fortune 500 companies are using HR as a part of their strategy planning team and HR plays a key role in the recruiting, development, deployment, and compensation of employees throughout the company. The completion of each of these functions requires more and more use and application of technology via social media tools and other related things. Just food for thought. I'm a current student in the program mentioned above, and it's been a great experience thus far with a bright future.

Thanks for the thought, but if anyone has any thoughts regarding more technology/business focused programs, I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Try theInformation Networking Institute at Carnegie Mellon. They are technology/business programs, but they do require you to have an undergrad degree in technology. The curriculum of each of their programs has engineering/CS/IT as well as business/management/econ. As far as I know they take business classes from the School of Business and IT classes from Computer Science/Electrical & Computer Engineering departments.

Forgot to add the ETIM program at CMU as well might be of interest. There are a lot of interdisciplinary programs at CMU.

Hi Krok,

Thanks for your suggestions. I am not sure if he's looked at those programs yet, so I will definitely pass them along. I think he is now applying to Bentley, Rutgers, Harvard, Stanford, DePaul, Michigan, Columbia, and a couple others.

• 1 month later...

CMU INI (information Networking Institute) is a good choice but they are very heavy on the technology side. One of their admissions requirement is having taken a programming course. For a more balanced program, I would go with CMU's Information Systems Management program or Information Security Policy & Management if that interests him. Both are offered by Heinz College and neither require previous CS/Engineering background. That doesn't mean you can't make it more technical as many of the students also take courses from CS, INI or Software Engineering Institute. Heinz itself also offers many technical courses.

Source: current Info. Sec. student at Heinz