International student worrying about the application process

Hi, I'm new here... I've read the first few pages of posts in this forum section, and decided to start a new topic. I'll start by giving you a bit of background about myself.

I'm an Egyptian student of French Language and Literature. I'm hoping to pursue a PhD in Comp Lit in the US. Mostly, I'm interested in the way literature and art can reflect, influence and eventually cause societal change, and I'd like to study this in a foreign literature and society (60s' France, or 80s' Argentina, possibly), and apply it to contemporary Egypt.

I have asked around and was told my research interests would be a good fit for Comp Lit programs who have an emphasis on Arabic and interdisciplinary research, and also for Near/Middle Eastern Studies program that have a literature track with a strong comparative or interdisciplinary component. Unfortunately, most such programs, especially the ones who offer full funding (which I need) are in the top schools. Thus, my application list for Fall 2011: Cornell (Comp Lit), Columbia (MESAAS), NYU (ME Studies) and Yale (Comp Lit). I contacted professors at each school, and all have expressed polite interest in my research interests and have been encouraging. However, I still haven't told them much detail about me as an applicant (I'm kind of... mildly embarassed? I don't want to seem whiny or bother them with my stupid, insecure questions.)

So, anyway, I have some strengths and a lot of weaknesses. Strengths first :) ... I am fluent in Arabic (Egyptian dialect and a good reading/writing knowledge of classical Arabic), French (spent my early childhood in France) and English; I can speak Spanish moderately well; I've studied Latin in middle and high school and was pretty comfortable with it. I have also studied Armenian for a semester and hope to continue during the two semesters I have left in college. And I know basic Sango (lived in Central Africa for a year) and slight Czech (picked it up from a boyfriend). The last two don't count, I know, but I think I'm pretty strong on languages, and will have absolutely no problem fulfilling any language requirements.

The profs I've corresponded with have seemed genuinely interested in my research interests; some of them, like Deborah Starr at Cornell, already work on the Egyptian cultural scene and society. Dr. Alryyes at Yale was very encouraging, praised my English and emphasized the importance of the statement of purpose. Hala Halim, at NYU, encouraged me to apply to ME Studies, rather than Comp Lit. They have, in general, made me feel like I do stand a chance, despite my weaknesses. Weaknesses which I shall now detail:

I have some research experience, though not that impressive. I've assisted with field research on an EU report on cultural policies in the Middle East last year, and now I'm doing more field research for an Egyptian cultural fund project. I won 1st prize in an inter-universities research competition last semester, but the paper was only about 3 pages long (the competition's limit). I've never written anything 15 pages long, and so I don't have anything to submit for a writing sample. I have a vague idea what I'd like it to be about, but I don't really know how I'm going to do it.

GPA-wise, mine is about 16.53/20. Scaled to an x/4 scale, it'd be about 3.3. Not stellar. It's mostly dragged down by my Arabic grades (I consistently gt 10 or 12 every year), because my grammar is abysmal.

I still haven't taken the GRE (scheduled for November) or the TOEFL (October); I don't have a writing sample or a statement of purpose yet. I'm going to start studying for the GRE next week, and the TOEFL, and work on the SoP and writing sample, and I'M PANICKING.

I guess my question is, do I even stand a chance? Is it too late to start on the sample now? Should I apply anyway, but expect to have to reapply next year?

GPA-wise, mine is about 16.53/20. Scaled to an x/4 scale, it'd be about 3.3. Not stellar. It's mostly dragged down by my Arabic grades (I consistently gt 10 or 12 every year), because my grammar is abysmal.

I don't really know much, but I did want to say that if you're talking about a 16.53/20 as in the French grading scale (where Gods get 20, Professors get 19, and Grad Students get 18, as the joke goes), than a 16.53 would be much higher. I'm good friends with some Parisians and Sciences Po grad students, and they speak as though a 17 gets a commendation from the school. If that's true, and that's your grading system, than you'd be up at like a 3.7, which is very solid indeed.

Edited by balderdash

I don't really know much, but I did want to say that if you're talking about a 16.53/20 as in the French grading scale (where Gods get 20, Professors get 19, and Grad Students get 18, as the joke goes), than a 16.53 would be much higher. I'm good friends with some Parisians and Sciences Po grad students, and they speak as though a 17 gets a commendation from the school. If that's true, and that's your grading system, than you'd be up at like a 3.7, which is very solid indeed.

Well, no... I'm at Cairo University, studying French Lit, which basically means the grading system may be close to the French scale, but it's definitely not it. I do have experience with French education: I did a French Baccalaureate (high school diploma) and graduated with a 14.75/20 in the Scientific section, which is considered a very good grade, and I can testify that your friends' description of the grading system is pretty accurate... But sadly, this is not that kind of 16.5. :)

ETA:

According to the WES, my GPA is the equivalent of an A in the US! Would that be good enough?

Edited by Alyanumbers

I definitely don't think it's too late but I'd advise you to really get started on that sample as soon as possible. When I applied I pretty much took the summer to research programs and got started with heavy GRE prep and sample writing towards the end of August. This definitely wasn't the most timely approach to the application process but it worked because I wasn't in school anymore and, other than graduate school apps, really only had a part-time job and a sympathetic partner to attend to. I think your GPA is high enough that it won't immediately knock you out of the running for many programs but I won't lie and say it's not an issue, especially at the top-20 schools you're looking at. I don't want to sound discouraging but given the nature of this beast, I'd urge you to also take a glance at slightly less competitive programs (though, as is often said, safety schools in this discipline don't exist). It is a great sign that the professors you contacted were interested in your proposed research, though. At the schools I got into, the first thing professors wanted to talk to me about was my research interests and how excited they were because relatively few people are tying together what I'm tying together. The fact that people are already showing interest in the potentiality of your work is promising.

Make sure you have a few professors in your camp to guide you with your writing. If you've never written a 15 page paper before, you'll probably need help with thoughtfully sustaining an argument for that long. You might even want to aim for a slightly longer paper (~20 pages) because seminar papers are often longer than that--it would be good practice. As for your last question, it depends. Are you at least somewhat confident about your GRE test taking abilities? Knowing your own writing process, do you think you can produce a quality sample in three months? It will most likely have to be better than anything you've ever written before. If I were you, I'd really give it my all this go around while keeping diligent notes on the process in case things don't pan out and I have to go through it all again next year. From what you've outlined, I think your application shows promise (and I find your research interests fascinating).

Well, if your GPA is the equivalent of an A, then you can't do much better than that!

I'd say that instead of worrying over whether your GPA will be a problem or not, focus on something you can actually control, like your writing sample. I would guess that in cases of international students with widely varying grading scales, admissions committees have as much trouble figuring out how to "convert" GPAs as you do. In that case, the writing sample and statement of purpose - already far and away the most important part of your application - will become all the more critical. That's really how they will know what you are capable of and what sort of promise you show, not a number - especially a number that doesn't translate well. So spend the most amount of time with your sample, and your SoP. And yes, devote some time to GRE vocabulary - the GRE is NOT a very important part of the application, but if you're unsure about your GPA, it would be nice to have a strong verbal as a good (standardized) number.

Also, I'm in awe of your language skills. So cool. Good luck!

As for your last question, it depends. Are you at least somewhat confident about your GRE test taking abilities? Knowing your own writing process, do you think you can produce a quality sample in three months? It will most likely have to be better than anything you've ever written before. If I were you, I'd really give it my all this go around while keeping diligent notes on the process in case things don't pan out and I have to go through it all again next year. From what you've outlined, I think your application shows promise (and I find your research interests fascinating).

Thanks a lot for your response. That was encouraging, but at the same time sounded realistic, if you know what I mean. :) As I said, I haven't started preparing for the GRE yet, but the last time I took a standardized test of that kind, it was the SAT... I got an average grade on the math section (690) but managed an 800 on the verbal, and my understanding is that the GRE is somewhat similar, so I'm not too worried (still going to get me a prep book and study as hard as I can, though!). The part I'm worried about is the analytical writing section, if only because I got 5/12 on the essay in the SAT. :/

I am surprisingly good at producing good work on a deadline... The research paper I got a prize for was written in four hours... starting at exactly four hours before the competition deadline. :D So I do tend to leave things off until the last minute, but with good results. However, I'm definitely starting work on that paper right now, since I want to have the time to polish it, show it to a professor of mine or two, polish it again and be completely confident about it. I just have to be really hard on myself so I won't slack off or procrastinate, as I have a tendency to.

Well, if your GPA is the equivalent of an A, then you can't do much better than that!

I'd say that instead of worrying over whether your GPA will be a problem or not, focus on something you can actually control, like your writing sample. I would guess that in cases of international students with widely varying grading scales, admissions committees have as much trouble figuring out how to "convert" GPAs as you do. In that case, the writing sample and statement of purpose - already far and away the most important part of your application - will become all the more critical. That's really how they will know what you are capable of and what sort of promise you show, not a number - especially a number that doesn't translate well. So spend the most amount of time with your sample, and your SoP. And yes, devote some time to GRE vocabulary - the GRE is NOT a very important part of the application, but if you're unsure about your GPA, it would be nice to have a strong verbal as a good (standardized) number.

Also, I'm in awe of your language skills. So cool. Good luck!

Aw, thanks! I was mostly really lucky to have grown up as a bilingual kid. :)

Thanks for the helpful advice. I'm quite confident I can produce a great, persuasive statement of purpose, since those professors have already assured me I'm a good fit for each program. The writing sample is what I'm worried about, but with some discipline, I think I can pull it off.

I guess I was just worried I'd be already out of the running... Reading this forum, I am a little intimidated by how well-prepared everyone else seems to be, and I tell myself, if they're worried, I don't stand a chance.

I guess I was just worried I'd be already out of the running... Reading this forum, I am a little intimidated by how well-prepared everyone else seems to be, and I tell myself, if they're worried, I don't stand a chance.

I'm sure there are people reading this thread and thinking the same thing about you. Everyone feels that way, and it doesn't stop at the application process. I'm about to start a Ph.D. program and I feel that way. Luckily, even the seemingly really well-prepared and impressive people themselves also feel that way. I'm convinced that just about everyone is feeling around in the dark in the beginning of everything, despite appearances. Just focus on yourself and your own work. And get started on that writing sample!

Aw, thanks! I was mostly really lucky to have grown up as a bilingual kid. :)

Thanks for the helpful advice. I'm quite confident I can produce a great, persuasive statement of purpose, since those professors have already assured me I'm a good fit for each program. The writing sample is what I'm worried about, but with some discipline, I think I can pull it off.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the only reason I appear so well prepared (really, I'm not actually, I still need to write my writing sample paper as well...), is because this is my SECOND round, and I learned a LOT the first time (four apps, four rejections).

And as intext said - I may APPEAR well prepared but I mostly feel like an idiot :D, like I don't know enough, like I'm completely unprepared, and if I just find that one perfect book/article to help me. I will finally start writing B). (of course, that never quite happens, but I scour through the LRC and JSOR on a daily basis, not to mention my massive international shipments from Amazon monthly :lol:.

Good luck! Your language training is AMAZING, and I'm envious (despite being bilingual myself)