Staring to brainstorm PhD work

sport1

Hello! So...I just entered Vanderbilt Div for my MTS. Finished up orientation today. :) However, that means I'm starting to brainstorm (read: freak out about) PhD programs. My focus is women in early Christianity (particularly women's authority), so I've been googling where authors are that I use in research, etc. They're mostly at schools that I wouldn't consider particularly exemplary. (Obvious exception being Schussler Fiorenza at Harvard.) I've also started looking through faculty lists at different schools like Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.

When it comes to PhD work, is it best to go to an illustrious institution, or one that lines up with your research interests? For instance, one scholar is at Brite - at Texas Christian University! Crazy! What does this mean? And does anyone have any other ideas for structuring my search? Or has anyone just decided for me where I should go? :)

As a bit of framework, I've been a really competitive student so far. Obviously I'm hoping to maintain that level through my master's program...haha. I have a full-tuition award here at Vandy; Phi Beta Kappa; summa cum laude...all that jazz. I also consider myself an excellent writer. (I say that not to brag but to give frameworks, etc.) I am in Div School, of course, but I intend to pursue objective academic work; no affiliation to denominations or anything.

Any help would be great!

SP

General consensus seems to be that the most important thing is who you are working with - that is to say, in terms both of match and pedigree. Moreover, in the contemporary job market, it is becoming increasingly important to have studied at a top program in your subfield. Now, there are some important caveats to that; it's important that the departments strength is your area - so if you are a Christologist and the department is excellent but only has comparative religion scholars working in SE Asia it probably won't be much of a help, obviously. I'd follow the work though, if all the big name people in your subfield are in one place, that's generally a good sign, but also talk to your MTS faculty, i'm sure they can point you in the right direction.