Will my GRE results hinder my PhD application at top universities

Candor

Hi

I want to apply to US universities for PhD program (FALL 2011) in mechanical engineering. However, biggest problem with me is my GRE; when I did write it first my score was 1250, so I decided to write it again and unfortunately it decreased to 1100 then I was left with no other option but to write it again and now today I have 1340 (790 Q+550 V).

With this email I want to ask you about whether I should aim for top five universities in my area. To help you make a better decision I am putting my brief profile (apart from GRE) as follows:

1. Graduated in 2009 from an Indian University (Absolute CGPA = 8.18/10). Grading at my university is not relative; I am second ranked in my branch.

2. Two papers has been accepted for publication in ASME Journals as first author.

3. One international conference paper as third author (which is really the best conference in its field);

4. One crap IEEE conference publication is there and one more decent publication in a UK conference and US conference (which is basically a conference version of Journal papers, unfortunately both the conferences are not indexed).

3. 3 month and 5 month research internships in UK and Europe

4. Offered admission in one year Msc by reserach program at UK with funding in 2010 and currently undergoing that course.

5. Toefl Score: 103/120

Some of good universities in my area of research are from top 10, e.g. Cornell, Stanford, Gatech and MIT also. My question is Will my GRE scores hinder me from getting in these top universities in my area?

I am really in deep pain about GRE and would highly appreciate your comments.

@d3amon, Thanks for your reply. My main questions are:

1. will admission committee mark negative points for my previous two sores?

2. Many people say that, initially, when we submit our application it is screened on the basis of the GRE (they decide some cut-off). In case if they average my GRE scores then I may be disqualified. Is it correct information?

Edited by Candor

As far as I know universities consider the best score. The fact that you have taken the GRE for the third time can have only the positive influence on admission committee because it shows commitment to achieve your final goal!!! I wouldn't recommend taking it once more.

Btw, what was your Q score on first two tests?

Edited by d3amon

Quant score in first two tests was 770. I am not gonna take it once again.... I also did a bit of research and it seems universities consider either best score or they take in to account increase in the GRE score...

As far as I know universities consider the best score. The fact that you have taken the GRE for the third time can have only the positive influence on admission committee because it shows commitment to achieve your final goal!!! I wouldn't recommend taking it once more.

Btw, what was your Q score on first two tests?