What are my chances of getting into a Pol Science Ph.D. program in the US with a focus on political economy?

sb95

Question

Hello! I am from India, and studied two papers of pol science as a part of my minor in undergrad. My major is law and I also have a Master's degree in it. Now I wanna get a Ph.D. in political economy from a half-decent American Uni which has full funding. Problem is that I will need to take GRE before I apply. Before I do that, I want to know what my chances of getting into a program are, considering my background and absence of publications. All inputs are appreciated! Thank you!

1 answer to this question

3 hours ago, Dr_Hugh_ said:

There is some information missing here for a clear assessment. What is your GPA?

As far as admissions committees are concerned, they will look mainly at your GPA (your most recent degree) and the quality and rigor of your statement of purpose and of your writing sample (if needed). While publications can be a plus, they are not expected at the time of admissions, so I would not worry too much about that. I would not worry too much about your GRE score either. Of course the best score the better but just an OK score is fine too.

My GPA is kinda low in undergrad. 4.3/7 to be precise. I really wanna get into a program that - 1) Gives full funding 
2) Is interdisciplinary - has classes on quantitative methods/ stats and stuff. 
3) Is relevant to my area of interest. 
4) Has decent opportunities like teaching, etc.