Philosophy MA at SFSU VS Bioethics MA at NYU

FilippM

I am an international student with a bachelor's degree in Philosophy and I have been accepted to the Meat SFSU and MA in Bioethics at NYU.

My final goal is to enroll for a PhD in a decent school (preferably in CU).

I know that this program at NYU is considered not very good (a cash cow, etc.), and the program at SFSU, on the contrary, is considered one of the best in philosophy.

Nevertheless, NYU as a whole is much more prestigious than SFSU and I think it can help in establishing contacts with professors, perhaps at the NYU Faculty of Philosophy.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What should I choose based on my goals? I will be grateful for any advice.

PS

My main area of interest is the philosophy of cognitive sciences

On 6/1/2022 at 6:02 AM, FilippM said:

I am an international student with a bachelor's degree in Philosophy and I have been accepted to the Meat SFSU and MA in Bioethics at NYU.

My final goal is to enroll for a PhD in a decent school (preferably in CU).

I know that this program at NYU is considered not very good (a cash cow, etc.), and the program at SFSU, on the contrary, is considered one of the best in philosophy.

Nevertheless, NYU as a whole is much more prestigious than SFSU and I think it can help in establishing contacts with professors, perhaps at the NYU Faculty of Philosophy.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What should I choose based on my goals? I will be grateful for any advice.

PS

My main area of interest is the philosophy of cognitive sciences

The NYU program is actually a good program, but yeah, kind of a cash cow. But definitely better than the MA at SFSU. My question is: why didn`t you apply to PhD programs in the first place? PhDs in philosophy usually have the master`s built-in and usually come with solid funding packages... While having a master`s is a great way to demonstrate your research skills when applying to PhDs, one thing to keep in mind is that since PhD program usually include coursework related to the MA program, chances are you won`t get many course credited toward the PhD...

In any case, NYU carries much more weight than SFSU for the PhD.

• philbegas changed the title to Please Delete