PhD in Theology but work in Rel. Studies

spaceman00spiff

hey everyone. i'm thinking of applying for a phd in theology focusing on either morality or social ethics. i'm getting an mts at boston college right now, but i'm wondering if i get the phd in theology, will i be able to teach religious studies? the worry is that i'll only be able to apply to teach at catholic colleges when i graduate. if i want to work at lewis and clark or a cal state, for example, could i get a job in a religious studies department with a phd in theology from a catholic institution? or should i be applying for religious studies programs if i want to have a wide job market?

thank you much.

peace

• 3 weeks later...

To give a completely oversimplified answer: no. A PhD in Theology pretty much tracks you in the direction of seminaries, Div schools, etc. Most Religious Studies departments aren't going to want someone with a confessional bent to their studies (i.e. you weren't "objective." I know, I know, but it's what they believe). What's more, will you be able to teach Islam? Buddhism? Teach them well? A Rel Studies department doesn't want someone to teach Christianity. There are Schools of Theology for that... My advice (and it's kind of what I'm doing) would be to go for a PhD in Rel Studies and try to go to a school where you can get some theology. My understanding of the market is that a PhD in Religious Studies with 12 hours in theology can cross over much more easily than a PhD in theology with 12 hours in religious studies. There will always be exceptions, of course, so I'm speaking more as a general rule of thumb. But in a tight market, the reality is that you won't stand a chance against someone with a PhD in Islamic Studies or Religious Studies, etc. (and why should you? You certainly wouldn't want them to be competitive in a theology atmosphere, right?)

Hope that helps.

hey everyone. i'm thinking of applying for a phd in theology focusing on either morality or social ethics. i'm getting an mts at boston college right now, but i'm wondering if i get the phd in theology, will i be able to teach religious studies? the worry is that i'll only be able to apply to teach at catholic colleges when i graduate. if i want to work at lewis and clark or a cal state, for example, could i get a job in a religious studies department with a phd in theology from a catholic institution? or should i be applying for religious studies programs if i want to have a wide job market?

thank you much.

peace

Think of the type of school you want to work at. Look at their website, where did their faculty get their PhDs? If you have a specific school in mind about where to study, email the head of graduate studies and ask them this question (or rather, put it that you want to keep your options open). Ask them where they have placed students in the past 5 or 10 years, and if they have placed any in non-denominational college's religious studies departments. I found most places were quite forthcoming, even when I was totally wrong for them.