Social Missions and Public Health programs

NMRN

I am in the very, very early stages of looking for an MPH program that suites my needs. I am currently working as a rural community health nurse covering family planning, STD's, epi response, immunizations, TB, and harm reduction/needle exchange.

The two most important things are

1) that the school have a strong social mission

2) that practicums or internships are a supported part of the program.

I'm looking to public health to expand my skills, understanding, and perspective a bit, but I don't have my heart set on a particular track. For now, I'm not looking specifically for dual degree programs with nursing. Ivy league is not a priority (as my mother always says "its not where you go, its what you do when you get there!").

Suggestions?

I am in the very, very early stages of looking for an MPH program that suites my needs. I am currently working as a rural community health nurse covering family planning, STD's, epi response, immunizations, TB, and harm reduction/needle exchange.

I'm looking to public health to expand my skills, understanding, and perspective a bit, but I don't have my heart set on a particular track. For now, I'm not looking specifically for dual degree programs with nursing. Ivy league is not a priority (as my mother always says "its not where you go, its what you do when you get there!").

Suggestions?

Hello, I am an international student who is interested in some public health programs.

It seems that a lot of students like you and me are confused sometimes when trying to find a certain program or track which suits the needs most. And it is hard to tell if one really loves something very much unless he/she really begins to do it.

to have a strong social mission and practicum/internships is important, because the public health, medicine, and other fields that are closely related to human health require, to some extent, practice.

About Ivy league, if you really want to be there, why not give it a try.If you do not, try some other schools.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm ready to update, now that I've done a little research. The following is my list of schools that are CEPH that have either a certificate, specialization, or stated mission in health disparities.

Columbia (New York City)

OHSU (online/Portland, OR)

University of Pittsburgh

Morehouse (Atlanta)

New Mexico State University (Las Cruces, NM)

Eastern Carolina University (Greeneville, NC)

Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica (Cuernavaca, Mexico)

This is not my list of places to apply per se, but if anyone has opinions or experiences with any of these institutions please let me know.

Edited by NMRN

• 3 weeks later...

I'm ready to update, now that I've done a little research. The following is my list of schools that are CEPH that have either a certificate, specialization, or stated mission in health disparities.

Columbia (New York City)

OHSU (online/Portland, OR)

University of Pittsburgh

Morehouse (Atlanta)

New Mexico State University (Las Cruces, NM)

Eastern Carolina University (Greeneville, NC)

Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica (Cuernavaca, Mexico)

This is not my list of places to apply per se, but if anyone has opinions or experiences with any of these institutions please let me know.

Most of the schools you choose are also well-known in my country.

BTW, does Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica teach in English?

• 5 weeks later...

Suggestions?

I am 44 and have been an RN for 18 years. I am currently in my first year of an MPH program in Public Health Leadership at UNC-CH. They are CePH; and offer certificate programs/distance programs/residential programs. Strong interdisciplinary/global focus; strong commitment to social justice. It's hard, but the faculty and staff are incredibly supportive and flexible.

http://www.sph.unc.edu/

http://www.sph.unc.edu/prospective_students/intro/

I'm interested in the same kind of thing, also from an RN perspective. I was hoping to find some kind of compbined MPH / MA in anthropology. UW in Seattle has an MPH / Anthro PhD program (which I am vaguely considering). In any case, it seems like there are quite a few MPH programs out there with "global health" or "health inequality" focuses, but a) I don't know how to differentiate all these programs and B) I am tempted to just go for an epi or biostats track, since I've heard that many other tracks are viewed as the "liberal arts" of MPH. Any thoughts.