What can I do to strengthen my chances of acceptance?

traceyflanniganburner

Question

Hi guys, I am an incoming senior undergrad from Canada now worrying about PhD applications. I would like to aim for the top US programs in environmental science and geography (e.g. UCLA, Berkeley, Cornell, Columbia, UChicago) since otherwise my backup plan would be to do a masters in my same university under my current supervisor. I would love to have some feedback on my current resume, my chances as of now, and what I can do to increase them. My plan is to apply for a PhD in environmental science, with a focus on remote sensing or GIS.

• Demographics: Canadian Citizen (Asian male if that matters)

• BSc in Life Sciences at a large research university in Canada (I have done several envirosci and geography courses)

• cGPA: 3.93 (3.99 in my 3rd year)

• 1 Year of work experience as a research assistant in a remote sensing lab in my university

• 4 month internship at a large environmental company in the Philippines

• Co-author publication in a remote sensing journal (Impact factor: 2)

• 1 Presentation at a research seminar in my university

• 400+ hours of clinical volunteering

• Currently working on my 4th year thesis in forest-related climate change using remote sensing data and photography

1 answer to this question

2 hours ago, traceyflanniganburner said:

Hi guys, I am an incoming senior undergrad from Canada now worrying about PhD applications. I would like to aim for the top US programs in environmental science and geography (e.g. UCLA, Berkeley, Cornell, Columbia, UChicago) since otherwise my backup plan would be to do a masters in my same university under my current supervisor. I would love to have some feedback on my current resume, my chances as of now, and what I can do to increase them. My plan is to apply for a PhD in environmental science, with a focus on remote sensing or GIS.

• Demographics: Canadian Citizen (Asian male if that matters)

• BSc in Life Sciences at a large research university in Canada (I have done several envirosci and geography courses)

• cGPA: 3.93 (3.99 in my 3rd year)

• 1 Year of work experience as a research assistant in a remote sensing lab in my university

• 4 month internship at a large environmental company in the Philippines

• Co-author publication in a remote sensing journal (Impact factor: 2)

• 1 Presentation at a research seminar in my university

• 400+ hours of clinical volunteering

• Currently working on my 4th year thesis in forest-related climate change using remote sensing data and photography

This look like an appealing profile to potential admissions committees. The publication is a huge plus. I would move forward with apps. What will increase your chances of acceptance? The quality and relevance of your SOP and LORs. Your school choice. One can have the best profile, but if the choice of school is wrong chances are low...