Howard Comms PhD?

liscosity

I'm not sure where to put this, because most of the topics here are even further down the search process than I'm in, but I'll start here. I've been eyeballing Howard's Comms PhD program for a number of years now, and I'm finally in a place where I understand what I want to do during my time there, so I'm planning to begin creating my application for their Feb 2023 deadline but I want to see what my life will have to look like for this to work.

I just received a promotion at work which puts me in a place where I have flexibility around my role, but is it unreasonable for me to consider still continuing to work in my role and complete this program? I have folks depending on my income and I'm not sure I'd be able to make it on a significantly reduced income by solely relying on funding from Howard.

My other question is if it would be possible to complete this program without living in or immediately around DC? I'm moving from CA to Virginia with the aim of living as far as Richmond or as close as Arlington. If I end up landing in Richmond, is this something that folks don't recommend?

Basically, given the limitations of my life, is this something that you would recommend or is this something where I would have to decide what to give up?

Posted these questions on a few message boards and even asked (in some capacity) the department chair and haven't gotten much of a response yet. Thanks for any help folks can provide!