Special relativity

ugenswani

"GPS satellites orbit the earth at a speed of approximately 3900 m/s, compared to our speed on the earth's surface of 460 m/s at the equator. This means that the clocks on the satellites must be adjusted by --- seconds each day to match the clocks on the earth's surface."

I tried to solve this question by determining the relative velocity:

vr= v1 + v2/ 1+ (v1)(v2)/c^2 which got me 2.4x10^-3 m/s.

I then used t=to/ √ 1-vr^2/c^2 where to is the number of seconds there are on earth in a day (86400), but the issue is I keep getting 86400 as my answer even though it's wrong.

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2022 at 12:51 PM, ugenswani said:

"GPS satellites orbit the earth at a speed of approximately 3900 m/s, compared to our speed on the earth's surface of 460 m/s at the equator. This means that the clocks on the satellites must be adjusted by --- seconds each day to match the clocks on the earth's surface."

I tried to solve this question by determining the relative velocity: https://routerlogin.uno/ 

vr= v1 + v2/ 1+ (v1)(v2)/c^2 which got me 2.4x10^-3 m/s.

I then used t=to/ √ 1-vr^2/c^2 where to is the number of seconds there are on earth in a day (86400), but the issue is I keep getting 86400 as my answer even though it's wrong. https://192168ll.link/

I got this,...

• 5 months later...

Special relativity is an explanation of how speed affects mass, time and space. The theory includes a way for the speed of light to define the relationship between energy and matter small amounts of mass (m) can be interchangeable with enormous amounts of energy (E), as defined by the classic equation E = mc^2.