talking about papers in SoP? past or future?

Hey guys~ I'm an international student so it's really hard to find anyone in US on adcom before to look at my SoP in advance... Hope here you could help me~

1) My current version of SoP is >1000w and I'm hoping to cut it down a little bit. There is one para. about a conference paper based on one course project. Basically I explained how I took a different perspective and found out the solution. However, first it's just a tier-2 conference; second it's in the big field I'm applying to but not closely aligned with the specific interest I indicate in my SoP. Originally I hope to use that to show my research potential. Do you think I should keep that para.?

2) The main part of the SoP is like research experience during a summer workshop, then in junior year, then current, then future, but the current and future part is relative short compared to the past. They are more like outlines. But I just read some topics saying that future plan should be the main part... any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

DEFINITELY keep your SoP focused on the present. Past/current stuff should be covered elsewhere; most applications have a place for you to record this. Also, your LoRs should mostly come from your past/current research advisors, who will attest to your research potential. (Adcomms would rather hear your boss say that you have research potential than listen to you say it!!)

Hey guys~ I'm an international student so it's really hard to find anyone in US on adcom before to look at my SoP in advance... Hope here you could help me~

1) My current version of SoP is >1000w and I'm hoping to cut it down a little bit. There is one para. about a conference paper based on one course project. Basically I explained how I took a different perspective and found out the solution. However, first it's just a tier-2 conference; second it's in the big field I'm applying to but not closely aligned with the specific interest I indicate in my SoP. Originally I hope to use that to show my research potential. Do you think I should keep that para.?

2) The main part of the SoP is like research experience during a summer workshop, then in junior year, then current, then future, but the current and future part is relative short compared to the past. They are more like outlines. But I just read some topics saying that future plan should be the main part... any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

another question: will that be ok to use acronym of a certain algorithm in SoP? (prof. in related field should definitely know that)

DEFINITELY keep your SoP focused on the present. Past/current stuff should be covered elsewhere; most applications have a place for you to record this. Also, your LoRs should mostly come from your past/current research advisors, who will attest to your research potential. (Adcomms would rather hear your boss say that you have research potential than listen to you say it!!)

hi UnlikelyGrad, thanks for your suggestion.

but how current is current enough? my problem is that I just started my final year project and am yet to do some experiments, so there may be not much insight...