Veggie oil in water analysis

domelexto

Hi. Good day everyone. I want to quantify the amount veggie oil (canola and palm oil) in water after remediation process. For now i’m planning to do UV-VIS analysis. Most studies use hexane as solvent. But i am not sure if hexane is suitable as it is usually used to analyse hydrocarbon. My question is:

1. is hexane suitable to be used as solvent to analyse veggie oil for uv-vis?

2. is there any analysis that can be used to quantify veggie oil in water that is fast and simple?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 6:32 PM, domelexto said:

Hi. Good day everyone. I want to quantify the amount veggie oil (canola and palm oil) in water after remediation process. For now i’m planning to do UV-VIS analysis. Most studies use https://routerlogin.uno/  hexane as solvent. But i am not sure if hexane is suitable as it is usually used to analyse hydrocarbon. My question is:

1. is hexane suitable to be used as solvent to analyse veggie oil for uv-vis?

2. is there any analysis that can be used to quantify veggie oil in water that is fast and simple?

Thank you!

I got this,...

• 4 months later...
On 1/30/2023 at 8:46 PM, IsabelleJenkins said:

Hexane is commonly used for hydrocarbon analysis, but it may not be suitable for analyzing veggie oils. As for fast and simple analysis methods, have you considered using Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR) or Raman Spectroscopy?

Both are quick and non-destructive methods that can give you accurate results. You can also check out tips on chemistry and resources on inospin.com for more information. Good luck with your analysis!