Location or Ranking?

Okay, so I have been accepted to several schools, one is a mid-range school (around the 50th percentile in rankings) with a small program, but a known name. The other one is ranked significantly lower, but has more structures in place for fulfilling language requirements, professional development, etc. Now, here's the final factor. The well-known, mid-range school is in an area/climate with long, depressing, and bitterly cold winters. Is it suicide to take the place with the better weather?

I would agree. I happen to like the cold--but not all year cold. I did my undergrad in Massachusetts and you have to like the snow; otherwise you are miserable and dreaming about California the whole time. Those things really matter when you are choosing a school. You have to be there for at least 5 (if not 7) years, so you better pick a place where you really want to live. That said, see what the schools are like when you visit. If the school that is surrounded by cold weather is 10 times better in terms of academics than the other school, then the decision will inevitably be a difficult one. In any case, good luck!

same here, I'm debating between my ideal program in a frozen, isolated location (i found TEN professors that I want to work with!!) and a non-ideal program (not much faculty interest support) in a much much better location-- nyc!! :(

Ok, I live in Quebec - which means it snows for 5 months.

Yeah it gets miserably cold, and there are days when I question myself why the hell I decided to move here. But there's no such weather that's too cold to handle (at least in N.America). You get used to it, I have friends from California and Florida who manage just fine. Go with the school with program/faculty you want, not the weather!