155V 153Q 6.0W - How much would my perfect analytical writing score help an otherwise average GRE performance (Clinical PhD)?

mrguydudetheman

Does a perfect analytical writing score help an otherwise average GRE performance?  

1. 1. Does a perfect analytical writing score help an otherwise average GRE performance?

• Yes
    • No

Hello all,

As the title says, I scored a perfect 6.0 on my analytical writing section. However, I scored an aggressively average score on the verbal and quantitative sections. I have read a variety of conflicting responses, but I would love to hear what you guys think (given that the majority of us are in the same boat). 

Thanks guys, I will try to be as responsive as possible in this thread.

For reference, I am applying to Clinical Psychology PhD programs. I will have two (and a half) great LoR's and can reliably write strong personal statements. I also have 2 - 3 studies of which I am the primary author, all of which will be submitted in time for application deadlines. I have an unrelated undergrad degree (3.0 GPA) from a large school, but I have an M.S. in Psychology (3.98 GPA) from a small school.

I am a nervous wreck, so I apologize in advance for asking a potentially redundant question lol.

P.S. I will be retaking the GRE in late October.

Thanks guys :)

Edited by redder144
grammar and stuff

Are the programs you're applying to even requiring the GRE? Many have stopped asking for it. Unfortunately, unless things have changed, the Quant and Verbal are really the only 2 scores programs look at if they are taking the GRE into consideration. 

Why type of research are you interested in? Having less than optimal scores might not matter much if you're interested in more qualitative work, but it could be a problem if you want to pursue something related to things such as neuroscience and machine learning. What are the average GRE scores for the programs you're applying to? Your scores aren't the best, but not terrible in my opinion. Also, having a 3.98 in your Psych Master's degree could potentially offset your scores because it shows that you can get the work done in real-word situations, which is probably a better indicator of your success as a student compared to the one time you took a high-stakes standardized test.

Less and less attention is being paid to GRE scores, as PsyDuck90 said, so you might not even need to retake the GRE. If it were me, I wouldn't spend the extra money and stress for better scores.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys!

It is true that the majority of schools are not even considering the GRE, but there are still a few that require it. Perhaps I am just super nervous and blowing things out of proportion.

Edit: I suppose I am more into qualitative research, but I am comfortable with SPSS

Edit2: I am interested in eating disorders, and so far it is about 50/50 on whether schools want or don't want (or the dreaded "optional") submitted GRE scores.

Edited by redder144