MS in Statistics without a quantitative background

riktagena

Hi everyone, I'm considering applying to Masters programs in Statistics with a BS in Psychological and Brain Sciences. I have decent experience in t-tests, ANOVAs, simple regressions, and mixed-effect modeling in R and have taken basic statistics, Calculus 1/2, and Linear Algebra during my undergrad. In my essays, I plan on emphasizing the need for a stronger quantitative background so I can wrangle complex datasets in my research. Do you think I'll be a competitive candidate and do you think I'll be able to handle the rigor of a postgrad statistics degree? My whole academic profile is research-oriented, with publications, presentations, and strong letters of recc from research advisors.

Do you know how to write proofs? (e.g., proof by induction, by contrapositive, by contradiction, etc.) Did you take multivariate calculus? Any statistics courses where you learn more of the mathematical theory (not only applications) of statistics? 

It highly depends on the program!  ? For example, at my institution, a Master's Student isn't really expected to have an extensive background. They even cover basic probability in their first quarter.   Lemme know if you have other questions!