Acceptance from one school and interview from another

stopro

Hi All,

I have a question regarding accepting an offer. I have been admitted to the Ohio State with funding today and I know for sure I'll be going there. Pitt scheduled an interview for next week a few days ago. Now, my question is: should I accept Ohio State's offer and still interview at Pitt, or should I hold off on the reply, interview at Pitt and reply to Ohio State. Nevertheless I'd like to reply to Ohio State thanking them for the offer. How would you suggest doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Program: IE

Also, generally if I have to reply but not mention if I'll be accepting their offer yet, I just go with something on the lines of, "Thank you so much for the email/whatever. I'll be eagerly waiting for the postal notification/funding offer/i-20 form/whatever is missing(something should be, right?)." That ways I can reply without giving them a definite yes or no and buy time.

Tough one. I still think I would have said no. Saves them on the living expenses and their time, if nothing else. I guess you should wait for a few more replies to see what people suggest. I don't pride myself on being too politically correct. :P

Why you even wanted to bother wasting time with the PITT when you are sure you are going to OSU?

On your place I would start working on getting materials for the first year courses so that you can start working right away instead of wasting time.

I think it's disingenuous to go on the Pitt trip, if you have no intention of going there. It's like my ex, who doesn't have sex with me anymore, but still wants me to come over and lift heavy objects and set up electronics for her. Pfft!

I say go to Pitt. They're paying anyway, and maybe they'll offer a massive fellowship if they admit you. For the record, unless Pitt offers one hell of a fellowship, you'd probably be better off going to Ohio State anyway.

I'm in kind of a similar situation... except I've already been accepted to the school I'm visiting next week (UT Austin) at their expense. At this point I'm fairly sure that I want to go elsewhere, but it's all arranged and paid for so I'd feel like a cad backing out. Plus, Austin is awesome, so maaaybe I'll have an amazing series of professor meetings and decide I like it better than the current front-runner? But it does feel a bit like I'm wasting their money and my time.

That's a slightly different situation, though, Crusty. If you think there is a possibility that a great visit would change your priorities, then it makes sense to check things out at your #2 school. I know a lot of people who have changed their minds and gone to programs much lower on their priority list because of a good visit. Most of them are happy they did.

My point was that if you know absolutely that you will not attend the school, accepting the free trip seems a bit dishonest.