Acceptance rates for PTS, Duke, YDS and HDS ThM/STM

no-po

I'm doing an MAR at an evangelical seminary (Westminster) right now - I have no desire, however, to be confined to the evangelical world any longer once I have completed my first masters. I am skeptical about my ability to be accepted into a top PhD upon completion of my MAR, but the prospects for acceptance into a ThM/STM program at a higher ranking school seem at least less dismal. Assuming I do well enough in my MAR (3.9 GPA) what is the likelihood I could gain acceptance into a ThM at Princeton, Duke, HDS or the STM at YDS? How much do these schools look down at degrees from evangelical seminaries? 

I'm almost in the exact same boat as you. I'm in the process of moving schools currently. 

From what I have heard and from the information that I've gathered, getting accepted to those one-year programs is not really the issue.

In fact, with that kind of GPA, I am almost sure that you will get in. The problem will be scholarship. 

• 5 months later...

The above commenter is correct. It's a question of funding (more evangelicals floating around at your mentioned schools than you would think). It is a question of funding. 

You just need to do some digging around on school websites and email their admissions folks. Funding for this program varies widely across schools. YDS currently has really strong funding for their STM (as of last year, they offer full or close-to-full funding for virtually all accepted master's students), whereas HDS offers no funding except loans for their ThM. I can't speak for Duke or Princeton these days- last I heard (spring 2020), Princeton was offering no funding except loans for the ThM. 

Maybe they don't have the same cachet, but if you're interested in other non-evangelical schools with strong financial support, I believe Boston U and Boston College both offer full funding for the STM/ThM, though there is the question of what sort of culture fit you're looking for.

Edited by Thulcandran