Statistics/Data Science PhD Profile Evaluation Fall 2023

greenblue

Hi all! I graduated in May and am hoping to get insight into what tier school I might be able to get into. My GPA isn't as good as it could be, partially because I had undiagnosed ADHD for my first 3 years of undergrad. During my last two semesters, after I got medicated and started taking the idea of grad school seriously, I got all A's with the exception of one A- in an irrelevant class. I do also have some research experience I'm quite proud of and letters of rec that I believe will be great 

If I don't get into a good university this year I'm considering working in tech/ data analysis and trying again next year, but I'm not sure how much my prospects will improve. Please let me know what you guys think, and what you might consider to be a match! Thanks

Undergraduate Institution: Mid sized private university with small math department (~12 undergraduate degrees awarded per year)
Major: Math
Minors: Computer Science and Physics
GPA:  3.60/4
Type of Student: Domestic white female
GRE: N/A

Programs Applying:
Data Science and Statistics

Research Experience:
Did my thesis on accelerating the Hodge ranking algorithm, successfully came up with a method to reduce the time complexity by quite a bit. Hoping to submit to a publication in a month or two
Did a relatively small amount of research in the physics department on quantum gravity
Participated in an REU in electrical engineering after my first year of undergrad

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:
One scholarship, Pi Mu Epsilon, dean's list some semesters, graduated cum laude

Pertinent Jobs:
Graded (1 semester) and tutored (2 semesters) for math, TA'ed (1 semester) for physics
Internship in software engineering and front end ios/android developement
REU - Summer research internship in electrical engineering

Pertinent Activities:
Competed in the collegiate math competition, PUTNAM 2 years, got first and second place score in my college, about 75% percentile overall
5 or so coding competitions
Society of Women Engineers (SWE) (4 years)
VP of aerospace research club (1 year)

Letters of Recommendation:
Thesis advisor who's class I got an A in, expecting a good letter of rec from her because I came up with the algorithm we're using now mostly on my own
Math professor who I took 3 classes from (A, A, A-) and developed a personal relationship with
Computer science professor who I took most of my minor classes from (all A's) and consistently would get top scores on his tests

Relevant Classes:
Math: Diff eq (C-), Linear Algebra (B+), Real Variables (A), Group Theory (B+), Complex Vars (B), Stats (A), Discrete Methods (A), Adv. Prop & Visualization (A), Deep Learning (A)
CS: Data Structures (A), Algorithms (A), Artificial Intelligence (A)

With regards to the C-, me and my team partner did the final group project last minute and he plagiarized his portion, which I chose not to submit.