Getting Experience while doing Online Program

I've read that one of the most important factors, if not the most important factor, in getting a job after getting an MLIS is having relevant experience when you graduate. I live in a city where there are no universities that offer the MLIS degree. So I would have to do a program online. I don't have any issues with this. The only thing I am worried about is how I would get work experience while doing the program. Do colleges that offer online MLIS degrees have arrangement for their online students to get work experience and be employable once they complete their studies?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in a traditional program, but I did have an internship the summer before I enrolled that I found myself. If you can't find an online program that will help you get experience you can set something up on your own.

If you are willing to work for free people will bend over backwards to help you. I contacted my local public library and some nearby college libraries. If you have an interest in a specific type of library, you could try those too. I got an overwhelming amount of positive response. If you are looking to get paid it might be more difficult but you don't need to count on a program to set one up for you.

Edited by Phyl

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a traditional program, but I did have an internship the summer before I enrolled that I found myself. If you can't find an online program that will help you get experience you can set something up on your own.

If you are willing to work for free people will bend over backwards to help you. I contacted my local public library and some nearby college libraries. If you have an interest in a specific type of library, you could try those too. I got an overwhelming amount of positive response. If you are looking to get paid it might be more difficult but you don't need to count on a program to set one up for you.

Thanks Phyl! I'm not looking to get paid. Not right now anyway. I just want to get practical experience that I can put on my resume so that when I graduate I have that in addition to the actual degree. I'm interested in working in a public library so I will ask about volunteering this week. I have a book that needs to be renewed so I'll just renew it in person and ask about volunteer opportunities.

• 5 months later...

I've read that one of the most important factors, if not the most important factor, in getting a job after getting an MLIS is having relevant experience when you graduate. I live in a city where there are no universities that offer the MLIS degree. So I would have to do a program online. I don't have any issues with this. The only thing I am worried about is how I would get work experience while doing the program. Do colleges that offer online MLIS degrees have arrangement for their online students to get work experience and be employable once they complete their studies?

I know you posed awhile ago, but from what I understand from many people who have graduated from such programs, getting work (paid or unpaid doesn't matter) experience is a priority. Most people say that they learn the most from actually DOING the job, rather than discussing the theory.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Decaf,

Don't know which online MLS you are choosing but the best ones offers the same career and job placement and alumni networking for intern placements as they offer to their residential programs. I know that the University of Illionois Springfield LEEP online education program offers an ALA-accredited Master of Science (MS) and that the school offers offers career and job placement and intern and entry opp placements through their alumni network which can all be accessed online. Newer online only schools or new programs may not have such strong alumni, intern and placement networks. I'd look at this aspect of any online program before you enrolled. It will also help if you choose an online library science program that is known in your work/career area as libraries are always looking for volunteer or paid intern workers. If you major in an area like electronic data or ed tech and live in a rural area I think you'd find a lot of opps to create your own job/internship as a part of your field work or thesis.