Becoming an engineering professor with just a Master's degree

cabby

I am currently enrolled in a top Master's program for Computer Science. I was planning on going on for a PhD to become a professor, but realize that I'm not that interested in research, mostly teaching. It seems like a bit of a waste to spend 4+ years in a PhD program if I want to just teach.

During my undergrad years, the MA-only teachers were sort of looked down upon by the research professors, couldn't advance much in their careers, and had difficulty getting the courses they wanted. In my current top research university, there are no professors that I know of that don’t have PhDs or aren’t currently working towards a PhD. I was wondering, then, if it might be better to become a teaching professor at a small, non-research, possibly private university.

From undergrad I know it's possible to become a MS-only professor (lecturer or instructor). I've also heard that it is easier to do in engineering than in the arts or sciences.

How difficult would it be for me to get a teaching position with good career prospects at a small, non-research university with only a Master's degree? How would I go about applying for this job? I know a friend who will be getting a MS-only teaching position but the school was his alma mater and he is close with the faculty. Would I be better off just doing the PhD?

Please give me some advice!

Thanks a lot!

Edited by cabby

• 2 weeks later...

The reality is that it comes down to your competition. If you're up against applicants with a PhD, you can basically forget it. If you Do wind up getting a job, the chances of a tenure track are somewhere between nil and non-existent. This means that all it takes is a few missteps, and then the dept. chair starts looking for a new hire. An MS will give you a solid shot at Community College teaching (which can be a very noble pursuit, imho) and you'll be set for high school teaching positions. If you're serious about a 4-year college, however (private or not), you'll really want something beyond an MS to be competitive in the interview process and to stay competitive after you've been hired. The reality is that non-PhDs are, for the most part, "looked down upon by the research professors, [can't] advance much in their careers, and [have] difficulty getting the courses they wanted."

That being said, there are ALWAYS exceptions. Here's hoping that's you ;)