Kennedy School Straight From Undergrad?

canesfan2011

Hey guys,

I'm applying for an MPA/MPP at the DC area schools (GW, GTown, AU, UMD) and am applying to HKS as my reach. I know they place a heavy emphasis on work experience and say on the website very few people get in straight from undergrad. On top of that I'm graduating a year early so I'll be 21 when I enter grad school. I was wondering if you guys could tell me how little of a shot I actually have... (I'm applying for the Truman Scholarship right now as well).

Undergrad: University of Miami

BS Comm. Studies/Political Science, Minor in Economics (expected May 2011)

Current GPA: 3.87 (hopefully a 3.9 when this semester is over)

GRE: haven't taken yet, but am studying to take the Oct. 22 test

Work experience: Kendrick Meek for Florida (Press Intern) Aug. 2010 - Nov. 2010 (present)

White House Internship Program (Speechwriting intern) Summer 2010

Office of Senator Bill Nelson (Press Intern) Jan. 2010 - May 2010

Office of Rep. Alan Grayson (Press Intern) Summer 2009

Recs: Have 2 professors and 1 professional who have all promised me "superior" letters

Honors/Activities: Hurricane Policy Debate Team (Co-Captain)

Young and College Democrats (Secretary)

President's 100 (student ambassadors)

President's Honor Roll

Girls Nation 2007 (President Pro Tempore of the Senate)

Florida Girls' State 2007 (President of the Senate)

High School- Varsity Travel Debate, Student Congress Captain (70 members)

Hey guys,

I'm applying for an MPA/MPP at the DC area schools (GW, GTown, AU, UMD) and am applying to HKS as my reach. I know they place a heavy emphasis on work experience and say on the website very few people get in straight from undergrad. On top of that I'm graduating a year early so I'll be 21 when I enter grad school. I was wondering if you guys could tell me how little of a shot I actually have... (I'm applying for the Truman Scholarship right now as well).

Undergrad: University of Miami

BS Comm. Studies/Political Science, Minor in Economics (expected May 2011)

Current GPA: 3.87 (hopefully a 3.9 when this semester is over)

GRE: haven't taken yet, but am studying to take the Oct. 22 test

Work experience: Kendrick Meek for Florida (Press Intern) Aug. 2010 - Nov. 2010 (present)

White House Internship Program (Speechwriting intern) Summer 2010

Office of Senator Bill Nelson (Press Intern) Jan. 2010 - May 2010

Office of Rep. Alan Grayson (Press Intern) Summer 2009

Recs: Have 2 professors and 1 professional who have all promised me "superior" letters

Honors/Activities: Hurricane Policy Debate Team (Co-Captain)

Young and College Democrats (Secretary)

President's 100 (student ambassadors)

President's Honor Roll

Girls Nation 2007 (President Pro Tempore of the Senate)

Florida Girls' State 2007 (President of the Senate)

High School- Varsity Travel Debate, Student Congress Captain (70 members)

You definetly have a chance at all of these schools. My friend got into HKS MPP right out of undergrad with a full scholarship, so it happens but it is highly competative. So give it a shoot, but have a back up plan. Also, do well on your GRE - great score will certainly be a plus.

You definetly have a chance at all of these schools. My friend got into HKS MPP right out of undergrad with a full scholarship, so it happens but it is highly competative. So give it a shoot, but have a back up plan. Also, do well on your GRE - great score will certainly be a plus.

gradap2010, mind telling us more about your friend who got into hks with a full scholarship? do you know what his/her stats and credentials were?

This is going to sound totally biased, since it is my program, but you should consider Carnegie Mellon's MSPPM-DC program. It has a second yr in DC with an apprenticeship, and it is much more personal than the DC schools with a great reputation and great DC connections. There's an alumni mentoring program when in DC, and the DC program has 100% employment rate within 3 months of graduation (not including those who chose to go on for med/law degrees).

That aside, your chances are great for the DC schools. HKS will be a reach, but it is possible. If you have a unique perspective and a solid background, you have a decent chance.

For the Truman - random side note - make sure your future job selections are positions that have real potential to effect change. For example, working as an employee at a government agency is not as change-inducing as working on a congressional committee or for a lobby group. Also, make sure your entire application follows the same thread with similar goals and cohesiveness throughout. That application process is grueling, so hang in there! That said, if you don't get it, don't be too disappointed - you can just as many things with just as much $$ money without it.

Best of luck,

mppgal55