Judging interview reactions

pointedears

How did your interviews go? (for people who had them)

Was the interviewer's behavior towards you an indicator of the things to come? They don't say "You're an excellent candidate" to everybody, do they? Or other positive sounding remarks like "Will you be able to leave your country if accepted here?" and "You sound just like me when I was about to enter graduate school." I got excited after my first interview but now I hear positive stuff like this in every interview, so obviously I am skeptical. And all of these come from the respective heads of dept. I know, no one can know for sure what it means, but I would be glad to hear some personal experiences, negative and positive. People said negative stuff and admitted you? or vice versa..or anything..

Basically, in your experience, do these guys mean it when they say stuff like that?

While an interview is not a guarantee of admission, it does mean that they already think you're a good candidate. It's common to get into every school that interviews you. So, if they're all saying great things, you may just be a really great candidate!

I had varied experiences at my interviews -- some gave a lot of praise, some asked pointed questions. Ultimately, I ended up being accepted by all the schools that interviewed me.

I just interviewed at one place in which they gave the "don't worry about it you're pretty much in" feel and even received an email from the prof. i applied to work with saying that they were pleased to have met me and hope that I come there next year. Yet, I find out this week that I've been wait listed!

I just had a telephone interview this morning. (and i was gonna make a thread about it too!)

so yeah, i can't really tell at all. i kinda feel like i rambled a bit. but all in all, i answered all the questions. i think i made myself seem like a person with a unique perspective of life + school + work + worldly experience. but i dont know. i feel like i asked good questions as well. in the end i'd say the tone of the interview was something inbetween neutral and positive. at the program i'm applying to i do feel slightly "outclassed" when i look at some of the previous students but i also think i have a history of slightly doubting myself and slightly lowering my own standards.

could i get some advice on 3 specific points from anyone else who's gone through an interview process:

1. the only thing that troubles me is when the professor asked me what other schools i was applying to, and i mentioned X university the professor said something like "oh, i know some people there and i hope you've gotten a chance to get in touch with them" (i can't recall the exact words but it was basically this with a neutral/positive tone). was this just a nice gesture wishing me success in all of my grad school endeavors? or was this a subtle indication of "best to look elsewhere cause your chances are slim here"?

2. the professor told me that if i had any further questions about the program that i should send him an email later on. is this a good sign? or merely a "courtesy"?

3. he also specifically discussed the april 15th deadline and indicated to me that this school makes decisions a bit late. i dont know if this was an indication that if i have an offer elsewhere to take it, or was he merely indicating that because the decision will be made late that i wouldn't have a lot of time to make a decision on multiple acceptances?

From what I think, they won't be wasting time on an interview if they already know that they are going to reject you. And I think all those things are pretty standard. I had three interviews and they all said the same stuff. I was weirded out when one school asked me where all I had applied and what would my preferences be if accepted to all three places(imagine having to answer that without any warning).

Maybe I am just trying to be optimistic here, but I sure hope none of those questions are signs of a rejection. :)