Please Evaluate my Profile (Opinions welcome)

veracious_star

Hi Everyone,

I love Political Science and would like to get into a graduate program in Political Economy. Can you evalute my profile and give me suggestions on how to improve my application?

Education:

Bachelors:

Started: University of Wisconsin Madison, Economics, GPA: 3.9/4.0

Transfered to Georgetown University School of Foreign Service

Graduated: BS, Georgetown University International Political Economy (IPE), GPA 3.74/4.00,

Honors Thesis In IPE

Topic: Econometric model analyzing rioting

(graduated in three years)

Masters:

London School of Economics

MSc Applicable Mathematics

Focused in Game Theory...Distinction in Games of Incomplete Information, High Merit in Game Theory

Awaiting Full Results: Probably graduate with a Merit or High Merit

Dissertation Topic: A mathematical approach to analyzing political simulation games

-Using game theory concepts to analyze electoral algorithms (thinking of using this for writing sample...good idea??...it is quite mathematical)

GRE:

I have taken the GRE twice. The first time I did poorly in writing so I decided to take it again. The second time I focused only in writing and did much worse in everything else...should I take the GRE again or would it look bad? Do they take my highest score in each subsection?

1) My first attempt: 760Q, 620V, 3.5A,

2) My second attempt: 670Q, 580V, 5.0A

Personal Statement:

I would like to write about dyslexia, and some of my research ideas in political economy.

Letters of Rec:

Letters good from not very well known in political science, but well known in other fields, i.e. mathematical game theory, economics....

Original Research:

Only my senior thesis and my master's dissertation, no published papers

I would like to know if I have a chance at the top 6 programs, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Berkeley etc...and if not, how to improve my chances at the top programs...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I love Political Science and would like to get into a graduate program in Political Economy. Can you evalute my profile and give me suggestions on how to improve my application?

Education:

Bachelors:

Graduated: BS, Georgetown University International Political Economy (IPE), GPA 3.74/4.00,

Honors Thesis In IPE

Masters:h

Focused in Game Theory...Distinction in Games of Incomplete Information, High Merit in Game Theory

Dissertation Topic: A mathematical approach to analyzing political simulation games

-Using game theory concepts to analyze electoral algorithms (thinking of using this for writing sample...good idea??...it is quite mathematical)

GRE:

I have taken the GRE twice. The first time I did poorly in writing so I decided to take it again. The second time I focused only in writing and did much worse in everything else...should I take the GRE again or would it look bad? Do they take my highest score in each subsection?

Honors Thesis In IPE

Masters:

1) My first attempt: 760Q, 620V, 3.5A,

2) My second attempt: 670Q, 580V, 5.0A

Personal Statement:

I would like to write about dyslexia, and some of my research ideas in political economy.

Letters of Rec:

Letters good from not very well known in political science, but well known in other fields, i.e. mathematical game theory, economics....

Original Research:

Only my senior thesis and my master's dissertation, no published papers

I would like to know if I have a chance at the top 6 programs, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Berkeley etc...and if not, how to improve my chances at the top programs...

I think your stats match up well with applicants who are typically accepted at these schools. You have some advantages:

1) Pursued your studies at highly rated institutions

2) Had overseas experience (Broader Perspective)

I think the key will be to present some of your unique experiences in the SOP.

One weak point in your application is that you have not published results in a journal (which might raise questions regarding your research potential). You should also try to address that in your SOP especially if you are applying to a PHD program.

Be sure to know all the programs well and tailor the SOP as applicable. Try not to make generic statements. I think you would get into at least one of the top 6 programs.

Any reasons why your quant gre score went down so drastically? Being a economics major I would have thought your math score would not have been affected even if you were concentrating on analytical writing.

Edited by rs_nucl