Joint Letter of Recommendation?

Seafarer

Hello, first post here but I lurk a lot :)

So I'm currently in the process of asking for LoRs & I have a bit of a conundrum. I'd love some optinions/advice,

I know this is probably a little unconventional, I asked my high school art teacher to write a letter (I'm applying to art/illustration related programs). He taught me for 4 years in high school and knew me quite well, I've also kept in touch since graduating, especially in the last year and a half. In addition to this, a few months ago, I went back to the school to run an art workshop over 2 weeks. He is the head of art at the school, & I was invited by him to run the workshop, but he didn't actually attend them. The teacher who did see me run the workshop (let's call her "C" for the sake of clarity) was also an old teacher of mine.

I asked him because I felt like he would be able to comment on my development since high school, as well as my performance during the workshop - I specifically mentioned these two things as the main points I'd like him to write about in the letter. I did consider asking "C" for a letter, but I'm not sure she knows me well enough, though she did work closely with me during the 2-week workshop.

So I got a reply for my art teacher, I'm not sure how much to read into it. It basically said that perhaps it would be better to ask "C" as she saw me run the workshop, but he would be happy to write a joint letter with her. My question is... would a joint letter be okay? I do feel like they both could contribute different things to the letter, but I don't know if it would look odd? Then there's the question of whether he's actually saying "no" and offering just as a courtesy. Hmmmm am I overanalysing?

Thanks in advance for any advice! heh I feel like this grad application process is driving me slightly insane O_o

• 2 weeks later...

Let me preface my comments by saying I know nothing about the specifics of fine arts degrees/applications. That said, I'm happy to offer my two cents since nobody else has stepped up.

Although I understand your connection to high school teachers (they are often easier to get to know that college professors), I would be worried about them writing LORs for a master's. Assuming that you focused on artistic courses in college or professionally, I would draw from those areas for LORs because they are more current and represent a higher level of analysis that would be more relevant to an MFA program (at least that is my guess).

Now - on to your actual question. I would tend to learn toward one solid letter of recommendation instead of a joint letter. If the person doesn't feel comfortable writing an LOR I wouldn't recommend trying to get them to - it just doesn't seem like an ideal situation.

Best of luck!