Just looking for programs...

anachronistica

Hi all,

Looking for programs to apply to next autumn. My top choice right now is Harvard's Doctor of Education Leadership program, which seems really perfect for me, at least right now with the goals that I have currently. But if I don't get into that (which is sort-of a long-shot...I suppose...) I will likely attend a program that will get me a PhD in English...unless I find something that seems to fit my goals better. Ideally, I'd like a program that would incorporate my interests in English, Philosophy, and Education, and I think the Education Leadership program is absolutely perfect, given my goal to found a charitable (but classically-driven) boarding school for economically under-privileged but academically motivated students.

As far as my credentials go, I'm currently at USC majoring in English and Philosophy. I'm a junior (graduating in 3 years) with a GPA of 3.685 (which will be going up, I'm positive). As far as extracurriculars go, I kinda wimped out last year (my freshman year) and mostly just did volunteer editing work with a smattering of other community service, but this year I've got a lot going on, including church, college newspaper, and lots of community service, specifically community service tailored towards education leadership. I'm in an honors program and I plan on either teaching English abroad or doing an exchange program this summer to boost my language skills.

So, anybody got any hot tips for me?

• 3 weeks later...

The HGSE program would be very hard to get into as a current undergrad I think. They seem to expect a lot in the way of demonstrable leadership/education experience and the average age is nearly 30 of incoming candidates. Might be worth a try though.

Have you thought about teaching for a bit?

But if I don't get into that (which is sort-of a long-shot...I suppose...) I will likely attend a program that will get me a PhD in English...

FYI, English PhD programs have among the lowest acceptance rates of doctoral programs in the humanities. I don't mean to sound like a jerk (and hope I don't), but give that some thought before you use English as a back-up.

If you are looking for a PhD in English, you'd really need to tell us a lot more about your interests and academic foci before anyone could give you advice on programs. What, precisely, would be your goals for graduate school (aside from wanting to found a boarding school)? What would be your research focus? If you are interested in education as an academic field, you may not want to look to English PhDs, which are very focused on literature itself as a research discipline in a way that might not lend itself well to education administration. I don't really know much, if anything, about Rhetoric, but maybe that would be a better discipline for you than English? I honestly have no idea what to tell you about grad school re: your long-term goals, and know very little about education grad programs (though I'm also under the impression that Ed PhDs tend to be geared toward senior teachers rather than ones with little to no teaching experience). BUT, if you could tell us more about your interests in English (what periods interest you, methodologies, specific research questions, etc.), we might be able to throw some program suggestions your way.

• 1 month later...

FYI, English PhD programs have among the lowest acceptance rates of doctoral programs in the humanities. I don't mean to sound like a jerk (and hope I don't), but give that some thought before you use English as a back-up.

If you are looking for a PhD in English, you'd really need to tell us a lot more about your interests and academic foci before anyone could give you advice on programs. What, precisely, would be your goals for graduate school (aside from wanting to found a boarding school)? What would be your research focus? If you are interested in education as an academic field, you may not want to look to English PhDs, which are very focused on literature itself as a research discipline in a way that might not lend itself well to education administration. I don't really know much, if anything, about Rhetoric, but maybe that would be a better discipline for you than English? I honestly have no idea what to tell you about grad school re: your long-term goals, and know very little about education grad programs (though I'm also under the impression that Ed PhDs tend to be geared toward senior teachers rather than ones with little to no teaching experience). BUT, if you could tell us more about your interests in English (what periods interest you, methodologies, specific research questions, etc.), we might be able to throw some program suggestions your way.

Okay, thanks. Since I posted, I decided that I probably should (based on various items of advice that I've received) spend four years in undergrad instead of three years. So that will probably have an impact.

My academic focus this year is the Literature of Los Angeles, specifically the Raymond Chandler era; I've taken one course in which I specifically studied it and I'm taking a directed research course next semester. Aside from this, I'm interested in the 19th century novel, specifically in the story of Pygmalion and/or Prometheus in the context of the era. Long term, aside from the boarding school, I do aim to teach at university.