Do I stand a chance at all? (Physics PhD)

drenigoln

Hey all,

I recently got back my GRE scores and you can probably guess that I'm disappointed with them. I made the decision in mid-May - 2 years out of undergrad - to work towards and apply to grad school, but right now I'm feeling pretty low about it. How does my profile seem?

• BS in Physics from UMass Dartmouth, 2016

• GPA 3.665

• GRE Scores: V161 Q158 W4.0

• Physics GRE: 600 (that hurts to even type...)

• Research experience in undergrad, presented and defended in various places and wrote a thesis-style report

• Work experience as a (biology) research assistant. I'm co-author to a paper on this that is anticipating publication.

• Recs from research leaders above and a mentor/co-worker/physicist from the research position.

I think my experience is good, and I believe my recommendations will have weight, but I'm really bummed about the Physics GRE. Is it going to sink me the way I'm fearing? Do I even stand a chance to begin with?

Thanks

On 12/22/2022 at 3:49 PM, drenigoln said:

Hey all,

I recently got back my GRE scores and you can probably guess that I'm disappointed with them. I made the decision in mid-May - 2 years out of undergrad - to work towards and apply to grad school, but right now I'm feeling pretty low about it. How does my profile seem?

• BS in Physics from UMass Dartmouth, 2016

• GPA 3.665

• GRE Scores: V161 Q158 W4.0 

• Physics GRE: 600 (that hurts to even type...)

• Research experience in undergrad, presented and defended in various places and wrote a thesis-style report

• Work experience as a (biology) research assistant. I'm co-author to a paper on this that is anticipating publication.

• Recs from research leaders above and a mentor/co-worker/physicist from the research position.

I think my experience is good as https://omegle.onl/, and I believe my recommendations will have weight, but I'm really bummed about the Physics GRE. Is it going to sink me the way I'm fearing? Do I even stand a chance to begin with?

Thanks

I got this,..