SSHRC Postdoc 2023-2024

SSHRCDreams

@PhDOG,ESQ thank you so so much for your supportive comments and your insights. I hear you on the extreme undervaluing of teaching and service, I've experienced this in several academic contexts (like the time I wasn't even shortlisted for a tenure stream position created to replace the program director role I had been doing for seven years). I guess I thought (hoped?) with the increasing focus on social impacts this situation was changing and the system was attempting to respond to widespread identifications of brokenness. But yes it appears I leaned too heavily into that hope. This is a hard lesson and definitely a teachable moment (ha!) for those at earlier stages of trajectory. But it is a serious shame for the learning goals of higher education, and the broader notions of academia as a space of/for social action. I have spent the last two days almost regretting my decision to pursue my doctorate. For a more positive spin, I am now leaning into the desire, like so many others, to find a pivot that is outside of or at the very least arms length from academia.

I really don't want to only focus on the negative, our project in community arts for social change was funded by the SSHRC Diversity program, which does seem to be a space that is attempting to make change "in the belly of the beast". Our host institution is OCADU which so far also seems to be something of an alternative academic space. That however probably worked against me for the postdoc funding.

Appreciations again @PhDOG,ESQ for your caring and collegial response, I wish you happy success. Warmth and respect to all, and the very best on your journeys. 

Edited by SSHRC frustrations

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

Ive been waitlisted this year for the sshrc postdoc (recommended but not funded). Does anyone have any info on wether alternate awards are possible? I haven't seen a post related to people getting an alternate award.