SSHRC Postdoc 2023-2024

SSHRCDreams

Also my first time applying. I don't know what to think. I completed my PhD in the summer, and my external reportedly gave me the best reference letter that is humanly possible. I know my supervisor will give his best too. I also had 4 accepted single author articles. What did past successful academic CVs look like?

The funny takeaway from these is how variable it can be. I know it varies by committee, but there are some unsuccessful applicants with far more publications. It might be that their proposed project wasn't very promising, or their letters weren't superlative enough. It is difficult to say.

@slc4a3 

That makes it more stressful! The worst part is I got a book contract and a handful of papers in leading journals SINCE submitting to SSHRC. It makes fear of it not turning out all the worse! At the of submission, I had 4 single author papers (accepted or published), 2 under review, 6 conference papers, completed PhD, and superlative letters of reference from people who have done very well with SSHRC. Even still, I don't know if it is enough.

• 2 weeks later...

@slc4a3

Re: results in February, I'm skeptical about that. If you look at last year's GradCafe discussion of the SSHRC postdoc, many people didn't get their results until the first week of March. The Banting results are earlier, of course. 

However, I have a little cautious optimism about the odds. Historically, the success rate for the SSHRC postdoc has been 18-20%. But the anecdotal examples of successful people who posted last year suggest that some committees were seeing a 28% success rate. 

It is a much higher success rate than any other "in house" competitions. The challenge is how arbitrary it can be. For a institutional post-doc, you can get a sense of what they want. SSHRC is arbitrated by third parties, so you never know.

@UC-23

Going through enough years of old posts and it seems like the earliest they've ever sent out the decision is February 24 and the latest is March 4. So I am looking at that week of February 27-March 3 as the most likely time for this year's decision.  (Great to find other people who are anxiously refreshing and waiting for a decision though!)

In the same boat as everyone else, solidarity to all!

I have no idea why I had written in my calendar that today was SSHRC announcement. I must've been in a real daze!

4 hours ago, SSHRCDreams said:

Anyone else feeling like they're in limbo? I'm finding it hard to do anything when there's an open question of whether I'll be funded in May or looking for summer work!

The waiting limbo is really hard, yah! Especially when you'd be looking at a May start, yeah.

Ugh, it's inane how slow SSHRC is.

I'm doing on-campus interviews this month for TT jobs. I really want a postdoc, and would prefer to wait a few years before starting a permanent job, but what am I going to do if I get a job offer before SSHRC results come in? 

The whole timeline is just terrible for promoting "talent" -- we're all adults with lives, and bills, and many of us families to take care of, and many reasons NOT to be hanging around until the end of the academic year with our future plans on hold. 

@UC-23 

18 hours ago, UC-23 said:

Ugh, it's inane how slow SSHRC is.

I'm doing on-campus interviews this month for TT jobs. I really want a postdoc, and would prefer to wait a few years before starting a permanent job, but what am I going to do if I get a job offer before SSHRC results come in? 

The whole timeline is just terrible for promoting "talent" -- we're all adults with lives, and bills, and many of us families to take care of, and many reasons NOT to be hanging around until the end of the academic year with our future plans on hold. 

Exactly! I have a family. My current contracts dry up at the end of the semester. I need to know sooner rather than later how I'm going to pay the bills when May rolls around. Will I be doing a post-doc in a different country? Will I have to find summer work? I was just informed I was runner-up on an institutional post-doc, so there's a possibility someone will reject that offer, but I'm really holding my breath. 

How many years post-PhD are you looking at TT jobs? My supervisor told me to teach a few years, get a post-doc, and then apply for TT jobs, but I also hear that adjunct teaching jobs don't do much to improve an application. 

Edited by SSHRCDreams

On 2/15/2023 at 7:50 AM, SSHRCDreams said:

Anyone else feeling like they're in limbo? I'm finding it hard to do anything when there's an open question of whether I'll be funded in May or looking for summer work!

Yeah the waiting is starting to get to me as well...I told myself not to expect anything until March but it's challenging not knowing and making contingency plans that may or may not be needed. ugh.

@SSHRCDreams

I'd take a TT job as soon as I can get one - as long as it's in a location that will work for my spouse and family. The only reason I want a SSHRC postdoc is to hold it at a university in the city where we're already living; that will buy us a couple years while we wait for a job (maybe) to turn up in a decent location.

I'm sure it depends very much on the field, but I'd agree with you that adjuncting does not improve a CV. Unless, perhaps, you're applying to a teaching-focused institution and can impress them with great reviews from your adjuncting performance. I don't see any reason not to try for TT jobs right off the mark. I know more than one person (admittedly, in the US, where things are a bit different) who have gotten TT job offers while still early in the dissertation writing stage. I think hiring committees are largely looking for potential.

Hi everyone,

I'm also waiting... I had tech problems with the webapp interface and came THISCLOSE to not being able to submit it at all! NIGHTMARE! But now I'm sitting on my hands like the rest of you. 

I think I may have some practical advice up my sleeves, though, if anyone's interested.

My father is R1 graduate faculty in an unrelated discipline (no nepotism - wouldn't it be nice?) - he's overseen dozens of admission/fellowships etc. Former student was former head of SSHRC. So I've learned a thing or two here or there about how these things are read, what's ignored, what counts. 

I'm in the same boat as you all waiting and wondering and worrying. I don't have any kind of answers or solutions. But if anyone wants more info for speculation's sake, shoot away.

6 minutes ago, PhDOG,ESQ said:

Hi everyone,

I'm also waiting... I had tech problems with the webapp interface and came THISCLOSE to not being able to submit it at all! NIGHTMARE! But now I'm sitting on my hands like the rest of you. 

I think I may have some practical advice up my sleeves, though, if anyone's interested.

My father is R1 graduate faculty in an unrelated discipline (no nepotism - wouldn't it be nice?) - he's overseen dozens of admission/fellowships etc. Former student was former head of SSHRC. So I've learned a thing or two here or there about how these things are read, what's ignored, what counts. 

I'm in the same boat as you all waiting and wondering and worrying. I don't have any kind of answers or solutions. But if anyone wants more info for speculation's sake, shoot away.

So, what's ignored and what counts? I understand it to be "let's fund those most likely to eventually get a job," ie. let's get a good "return" on investment in the form of metrics. It skews heavy on publications, obviously. You could have edited 10 journals in your doctorate, but none of that shows on SSHRC apps.

On 2/18/2023 at 1:15 PM, UC-23 said:

@SSHRCDreams

I'm sure it depends very much on the field, but I'd agree with you that adjuncting does not improve a CV. Unless, perhaps, you're applying to a teaching-focused institution and can impress them with great reviews from your adjuncting performance.

Oh really?! Interesting.. I was under the impression teaching experience was one of the main things they would look for in a candidate