• Ohio State U
  • Penn State U
  • U of Minnesota
  • U of Washington
  • UW Madison
  • UBC
  • U of Toronto
  • Rutgers U

Just chatted with my POI at PSU yesterday and hope to hear some good news soon!

I applied to the following geography programs (PhD):

• U of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
  • Rutgers
  • UBC
  • UGA
  • NYU (Gallatin M.A. with political ecology concentration)

I just received my acceptance to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign for the PhD in Geography.

I am international-Female

Bachelor in Environmental science with a GPA of 3.30

MSc in Environmental Education with a GPA of 3.70

MSc of Climate and Environmental Sciences with a GPA of 4.0

Currently working as a researcher in a German University.

IELTS 7.5

No GRE

I applied for these programs:

ESS at UCI

Geophysics at SCRIPPS UCSD

Geography Penn State

Geology University of Florida

Dartmouth College

Haven't heard back from any of them yet ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 10:49 AM, Erin22 said:

Thanks for starting this! I applied to the following programs in geography:

• Ohio State U
  • Penn State U
  • U of Minnesota
  • U of Washington
  • UW Madison
  • UBC
  • U of Toronto
  • Rutgers U

Just chatted with my POI at PSU yesterday and hope to hear some good news soon!

Hi everyone! Just want to update that I got acceptance from PSU and interviewed with my POI at UW-Madison today. Is there any news from other schools? I think most departments have started their review process.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Thanks for starting this thread! I applied to the following Geography PhD programs: 

- Ohio State University 

- Penn State University 

- University of Delaware 

- Rutgers University

I have been accepted to Ohio State (1/18) and Delaware (1/13) so far, and haven't heard from Penn State or Rutgers yet. 

On 1/24/2023 at 4:28 PM, Erin22 said:

Hi everyone! Just want to update that I got acceptance from PSU and interviewed with my POI at UW-Madison today. Is there any news from other schools? I think most departments have started their review process.

Hi Erin, Congratulations on Penn State! I applied as well but haven't heard back yet. Who is your POI at Penn State?

Also, I was accepted at Ohio State on January 18th. My POI is Becky Mansfield. Best of luck for the other programs as well! :)

14 minutes ago, Brandon14 said:

Hi all, 

Thanks for starting this thread! I applied to the following Geography PhD programs: 

- Ohio State University 

- Penn State University 

- University of Delaware 

- Rutgers University

I have been accepted to Ohio State (1/18) and Delaware (1/13) so far, and haven't heard from Penn State or Rutgers yet. 

Hey, I also haven't heard from Penn State but I think they will make the decisions this week. My POI said so but he's not in the committee so he was also not sure about it! I have not heard back from any of the programs I have applied for and it's getting really stressful and frustrating!

1 minute ago, ayma said:

Hey, I also haven't heard from Penn State but I think they will make the decisions this week. My POI said so but he's not in the committee so he was also not sure about it! I have not heard back from any of the programs I have applied for and it's getting really stressful and frustrating!

Hey Ayma, thanks for letting me know! Who is your POI at Penn State? I applied to the Dual Title in Geography and Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies, and my POI is Melissa Wright. Best of luck to you for Penn State and the other programs you applied to. I know it was super nerve wrecking doing this process for my Masters, and it is even more nerve wrecking now waiting to hear back this round!

1 minute ago, Brandon14 said:

Hey Ayma, thanks for letting me know! Who is your POI at Penn State? I applied to the Dual Title in Geography and Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies, and my POI is Melissa Wright. Best of luck to you for Penn State and the other programs you applied to. I know it was super nerve wrecking doing this process for my Masters, and it is even more nerve wrecking now waiting to hear back this round!

My POI is Luke Trusel. I applied for the dual title in geography and Climate science (or anything climate i don't remember the exact title), I am actually more into glaciology. Thanks alot! I wish you also best of luck and I hope we all end up in our dream schools :)

Just now, ayma said:

My POI is Luke Trusel. I applied for the dual title in geography and Climate science (or anything climate i don't remember the exact title), I am actually more into glaciology. Thanks alot! I wish you also best of luck and I hope we all end up in our dream schools :)

Perhaps those who applied to Dual Titles will find out soon?! Fingers crossed for both of us.

I did my BS in Geography at Penn State. Luke wasn't there when I was a student, but I really enjoyed working with other climate-related faculty! I took a lot of Climatology courses with Dr. Andrew Carleton who recently retired. :)

4 minutes ago, Brandon14 said:

Perhaps those who applied to Dual Titles will find out soon?! Fingers crossed for both of us.

I did my BS in Geography at Penn State. Luke wasn't there when I was a student, but I really enjoyed working with other climate-related faculty! I took a lot of Climatology courses with Dr. Andrew Carleton who recently retired. :)

Ah that's cool! So how was living in state college and your overall experience? Would you like to go back for a PhD? I am not yet sure if I get accepted at all, but he said they had some meetings a few weeks ago to discuss the applications as well as the funding resources, so I really hope we hear decisions this week! I also like Earth System Sciences program at UCI and tomorrow we have the virtual recruitment day. I hope something comes out of that as well!

Just now, ayma said:

Ah that's cool! So how was living in state college and your overall experience? Would you like to go back for a PhD? I am not yet sure if I get accepted at all, but he said they had some meetings a few weeks ago to discuss the applications as well as the funding resources, so I really hope we hear decisions this week! I also like Earth System Sciences program at UCI and tomorrow we have the virtual recruitment day. I hope something comes out of that as well!

Living in State College was really nice! It is a bit in the "middle of nowhere", but there is plenty to do, the department faculty are really nice, and the school spirit / culture is great. The transit bus system in State College is also really good, and I rarely used a car - mostly walked and rode the buses! Also in terms of going back, I am a bit torn. I think my PhD decision will really depend on funding amount & advisor fit. Best of luck with the virtual recruitment day!

3 minutes ago, Brandon14 said:

Living in State College was really nice! It is a bit in the "middle of nowhere", but there is plenty to do, the department faculty are really nice, and the school spirit / culture is great. The transit bus system in State College is also really good, and I rarely used a car - mostly walked and rode the buses! Also in terms of going back, I am a bit torn. I think my PhD decision will really depend on funding amount & advisor fit. Best of luck with the virtual recruitment day!

Great! Thanks so much for sharing the information! I wish you all the best :)

1 hour ago, Brandon14 said:

Hi Erin, Congratulations on Penn State! I applied as well but haven't heard back yet. Who is your POI at Penn State?

Also, I was accepted at Ohio State on January 18th. My POI is Becky Mansfield. Best of luck for the other programs as well! :)

My POI at Penn State is Trevor Birkenholtz. 
Congratulations on Ohio State!! I also reached out to Becky Mansfield last summer and I think her research is super interesting. Best luck for your other applications too.

47 minutes ago, Erin22 said:

My POI at Penn State is Trevor Birkenholtz. 
Congratulations on Ohio State!! I also reached out to Becky Mansfield last summer and I think her research is super interesting. Best luck for your other applications too.

Thanks for letting me know! Trevor is on a grant project with my POI at Delaware, Rebecca Nixon! We probably have a lot of overlapping interests. Did the department at PSU send you an email directly and/or did they talk about funding in it? Thanks in advance. :) 

3 hours ago, Brandon14 said:

Thanks for letting me know! Trevor is on a grant project with my POI at Delaware, Rebecca Nixon! We probably have a lot of overlapping interests. Did the department at PSU send you an email directly and/or did they talk about funding in it? Thanks in advance. :) 

I think so!! I'm doing human-environment geography and my research interests span across political ecology, environmental governance and colonialism. The department sent me an offer letter in mid-Jan and mentioned some funding details in it. 

5 hours ago, Erin22 said:

I think so!! I'm doing human-environment geography and my research interests span across political ecology, environmental governance and colonialism. The department sent me an offer letter in mid-Jan and mentioned some funding details in it. 

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I am human-environment as well, and my interests are queer & disability geographies, energy landscapes, and climate change. Best of luck with the other applications! :) 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Brandon14 said:

Hello all. Has anyone who applied to Rutgers University heard back yet? I saw someone post that they checked their portal and there was a rejection. I checked mine and it still says "Check back for a decision on your application!"

Yes, I got admitted to Rutgers on Feb 16 (but waitlisted for funding). I received an email from the chair of their admission committee first, and then the portal updated few hours later. 

3 hours ago, Erin22 said:

Yes, I got admitted to Rutgers on Feb 16 (but waitlisted for funding). I received an email from the chair of their admission committee first, and then the portal updated few hours later. 

Thanks for letting me know, and congratulations!!! I am a bit confused with no acceptance or rejection for me yet ? I checked my portal this morning and still nothing! Is there a program that you've been accepted to thus far that you are leaning towards attending?

2 hours ago, Brandon14 said:

Thanks for letting me know, and congratulations!!! I am a bit confused with no acceptance or rejection for me yet ? I checked my portal this morning and still nothing! Is there a program that you've been accepted to thus far that you are leaning towards attending?

Thank you! Maybe they're rolling out decisions ? Hope you'll hear some good news soon!

I'm now leaning towards PSU... But one of the reasons is that other programs haven't finalized the funding package yet. So it's still hard to make a decision at this stage!