Another GRE retake question

QajCR99

Recently received my GRE scores, 169V/157Q/5.5AW. Some background: undergrad (3.9 GPA) from a public R1 and received a J.D. (3.8 GPA) from a highly ranked law school. My focus is on American Politics. My undergraduate degree is in the humanities, and quant has never been my strong suit, but I choked during the test and could tell that I was doing so. If I retook, I think there is a realistic chance I could score over 160 as I did so on a couple of the practice tests. With that said, I really would rather not retake unless my score is disqualifying for the schools I’m interested in.

Would my quant score be a significant hinderance at schools like Georgia, Maryland, Vanderbilt, GMU, UVA, UNC, and Duke? I will probably suck it up and retake, but wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks for your input.

Edited by QajCR99

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend looking through the results page to view specifics for what Q score typically helps garner positive admissions results. With that being said, I have a 161 Q and have been told that it can be seen as a hinderance to an application, especially at some of the top schools. Now, if you're looking to do APD or qual american work that score matters significantly less, but I would recommend taking it until you cross the 160 threshold. Gregmat+ is a great resource for a low price and brought me up 5 points in the Q section in 2 months while working full time. The GRE can be tough, but a good score makes it much easier to get admitted :)